Does the language on Facebook concern you?

My DD leaves her FB page open all the time, and though she doesn't swear, at least not on the public posts, some of her friends and her boyfriend swear on the posts. One kid (not the bf) even used the word c*nt, and some other choice ones. I mentioned to her that I'm sure they think it makes them look cool to each other (although the girl who was the recipient of the above mentioned word told him to shut up), but they would look cooler if they cleaned it up a bit. She said, "you have no idea, people talk like that all the time". I said I know, but not publicly and in print(not to mention how rude it is)! My son will not be allowed to post such language when he is allowed on FB..I feel they all need better filters, or better parents. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• some may do it to look 'cool'..others do it because it is their life, their environment. they see/hear parents using such language, so why not? FB is not the end-all of propriety..its just a passtime. you teach your child 'manners' and language to go along with it, and hope they are mature enough to know how/when to use it. you can't control what other's kids do/say/post.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• *past" time. lol..too early!
    dullscissors

• I wholeheartedly agree! It's cyber bullying. You can click on the report post/person. Perhaps you should have her remove these friends from her FB and tell her you don't approve. I have heard about things my step-daughter writes. My DH will tell me and he says her mother has talks with her about it. I confronted SD the other day about some of the posts I have heard about and she said her mother never said anything to her about it! I think the site should be monitored better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• So, if I report it, is it anonymous? (it would have to be from her page) What happens to the poster?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Or if you trust her maybe ...don't read her stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think the parents need to monitor it more. My sister has a FB pages, as do daughters, ages 16 and 14. The 16 yo is not that bad, but the 14 year old is horrible. My sis does not monitor it, but I do. Just last night I sent her a message that she needed to remove an inappropriate phrase. My sister just shakes her head and say "What do I do" My neice will usually remove it if she is asked.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I bought my kids to Mc Donalds yesterday just to have a much of 14 yrs sit next to us and every word out of they mouth was a curse told them 3 times to please watch they language in front of my kids. the kid had the nerve to tell his friend I bet they curse at home its just because they are in public. I told my children that people who curse like that just aren't smart enough to use the right words in a conversation loud enough for him to hear. What a brat.
    santo70

Answer by santo70 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my cousin has a FB page and she swears like a sailor and says the c*nt word and s*ut and all that...she's not even graduated from high school yet and still lives with her parents in which, her mother has a FB page and most likely sees it all, i mean, from what ive known, i though my cousin would get a bop on the head for posting all that crap.

now there's this one guy that i added from high school, he has posted on FB "why do pple need to swear to get thier point across?" well...ok so i have HIM as a friend that has turned godly and to the church so im all confused as to if i should click 'like' the "if life were a slut, it'd be too easy", i feel i might be hated upon. im also confused if i should use swear words in my own post because of this 1 person. wish i never would of added him, im walking on freaking eggshells now.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If my minor talks like that on facebook, then my minor would just simply not be allowed to have a facebook account any longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• no, it doesn't. Occasionally a friend of mine will swear, but we're all adults & i really don't care if someone chooses to swear on their page.

I am friends with my friends son who is 17 on facebook. He has swore a couple of times & i usually just laugh at him because it is SO OBVIOUS that he is just trying to look cool.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2010