Where is the line drawn on claims against BP?

I watched Feinberg talking during an interview stating that restaurants in other parts of the country can make claims to be compensated if they aren't able to get supplies that they would have gotten from the gulf. I believe his example is if you have a restaurant in Boston that serves shrimp and they aren't able to get shrimp from the gulf, they have a legitimate claim against BP. How far out should claims reach when we still aren't sure of the local impact of that area?

also, this question was asked of him for the article I will link in the first response:

And what about a New Orleans strip bar called the Mimosa Dancing Girls, which has put in a claim for a slump in sales? Asked about that one Monday on "Good Morning America," Mr. Feinberg said he was "very dubious about that claim," but didn't want to prejudge it.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I foresee claims from people with boats that have never been in the Gulf. Whenever there is government involved, there is graft. People understand the government can't run anything effectively. I know; Feinberg is a 3rd party who is actually one of PBO's czars. He is just acting as the director of the BP fund outside of his government duties. This whole things smacks of impropriety.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My mom works for a predatory lending company (title loan/check cashing) and because people are now out of work, they cant pay back their loans, and cant get new loans, so her company has a suit in....Im not sure I agree with that though.

Nice scam - because you know damn well that even if they do get that money, they are still going to go after the debtors for the full 200% interest or whatever they charge for defaults. There's no way they're going to write off all those loans when they have binding contracts.

Not singling out your mom's company, either - there will be plenty of places that are assured eventual compensation that are going to cash in twice, once from the government and again when they get the money they were always going to get anyway, just a little later than they originally planned.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I guess my issue with this is that if it's far reaching and restaurants from around the country decide to make claims, isn't this another form of corporate welfare, it's just another corporation paying for it? After all, the bigger the business, the less apt. the feds are to let it fail. Will the bigger corporations get priority over those that are living in the gulf states that are affected and if so, what will be left for those directly impacted by the spill. I agree with jesse, this smacks of impropriety. Anyone connected to federal government to oversee the disbursement of funds is improper IMO. He is no more an independent third party than I am a liberal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• QuinnMae: you a liberal...............I guess that means we have impropriety because you are no liberal.

laughing

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Oh yeah, I was actually wondering if I could get some of that dough since I will be paying more for the shrimp I eat.
    Really, The spill capping and clean up, of course. The clean up of the wildlife but not the repopulation of it. I think it is good that they are helping the fishermen but I think they need to expect some far out claims from some that don't deserve payment. I don't think they should pay for people who say they have been physically damaged unless it can be proven by a Dr that it was oil related. I think the government having control of this money is a huge mistake and in the end I think BP will end up cutting them off because they have squandered the money to lawyers and ridiculous claims.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Im in Biloxi, and I know that casino workers that rely on tips (cocktail waitresses, etc) can sign up for compensation for loss of tips from BP...they will get $1000/a month for 6 months. Most local businesses down here have suits because of the loss of tourism, therefore they have a loss of income. My mom works for a predatory lending company (title loan/check cashing) and because people are now out of work, they cant pay back their loans, and cant get new loans, so her company has a suit in....Im not sure I agree with that though.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The foreclosure list in Florida is the worst in the nation. Anyone in the gulf who owns investment property or a business that is directly tied to the natural resource of the ocean should be compensated. Shrimp is definitely an issue but more importantly a way of life for many people will be in jeopardy. The problem will be, once again, the everday people will take the hits for this disaster. And then the feds will raise interest rates on loans. Adding insult to injury. The banks will go after people for deficiency judgements. Who will own all the land that will be worthless? The smartest people in the world are not getting this job done. Katrina's affect is still here and now this. Greed and incompetence.
    gigistone

Answer by gigistone at 11:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Oh yeah, they will totally cash in twice. My mom is trying to find another job, because these companies are so ...shady. My mom has a hard time doing collections, if the person is really having a hard time. ugh. its disgusting. They really dont care at all. But they will have a loss of profit if people arent employed, and therefore cant do a loan. And they can take people to court and sue them, garnish their wages...but now there wont be wages to garnsih.... so they will in the end, take a small hit.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2010