we have a serious problem and I need some advice please no bashing!

so yesterday as I woke up someone placed a letter on my door of the place we rent. I didn't think much of it till I read it It said they are forclosing on the house andwe have to be out by July 23rd. My landlord hasn't said one word to us one way or the other I called the number that was on the letter to an etitle and they said they took the house it's gone we have to be out the 23rd of next month. then i called the landlord and he's all lying about it and saying it's still my house they have no right to be putting that note on your door and I'm talking to my lawyer because it's my house I tell you when to leave. Well I found 3 places but they are basement apts. and too expensive for basements. But it's all I could find there IS nothing else my husband won't even go look at them or talk to the landlords he just wants to believe the landlord we have now like an idiot! basically I was also told by my landlord to cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ignore the letter placed on my door. But how in hell can I ignore we have 3 kids we can't be out on the street or go by his say so and I don't wanna pay july's rent cuz he'll just run w it but my husband is too nice and probably will without my help or knowing... What in the world would you guys do?? We have no money to get into another place unless we use July's rent to do it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'd find another place.

or you can consult a lawyer.

but landlords are just as capable of lying as anyone else. It is possible that he is still trying to get the house out of foreclosure, I know that can happen, but do you really want to take that chance? but I think you already know this, it's your husband you have to convince.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• First, I would call the number on the letter to see if you can get any information. If it is legit and you do need to be out by July 23rd, I wouldn't pay July's rent. Its not like you are staying there the entire month. I don't know where you live but I found out in Chicago that if a landlord is putting the building up for sale, tenants don't have to pay rent for the time the building is up for sale. Usually 3 months. The other thing I would do is call legal aid and see what they suggest that you can do.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It sounds like someone wants you to move so they can move in. Is there an agency in your area that deals with housing/rental/landlords. They might be able to help you decipher this. Was the letter an eviction notice from the Clerk of Court? If not, go see the Clerk and find out from the courthouse. I wouldn't just move until there was something official from the court.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• make some calls
    maybe start with fair housing something?
    may have to make a few before getting the right person/agency to help you
    as renters you do have rights but i do not know what they are
    if you are in poor catagory you can help for free ( I am thinking)
    gl
    hope someone on here stears you in right direction
    husband sounds nice but not much help, you will have to look into
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Don't give the landlord any money. He doesn't sound like he is above board. Use July's rent to move and don't let your husband near the money to pay it to someone who sounds like he is all but a criminal or at the very least lying to you. Do what you have to for your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Op here- the letter is legit I called the number on the letter it's not an eviction notice it's letting us know they forclosed on the house and we have to be out the 23rd of july...but hubby here I wanna use my rollling pin and smack him upside the back of his dumb head and ur right anon. 10:12 he isn't much help and it's pissing me off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• if the house is foreclosed on...then your paying the landlord money thats not going to the house. calm down hun! you need to figure out the truth because if the house is getting foreclosed on, while your gone out to the store or something...the locks could be changed by the bank. i dont know if you can get in at all since it would be taken over by them.

so i would use july's rent money to find another place and IF the forecloser isnt true an your landlord takes you to court KEEP that letter for proof!!

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, what motive would the bank have to foreclose if they were getting their money? You're husband is not seeing the severity of this problem. I think since the landlord has not been paying it is a breach opf contract and you can leave now at anytime, but keeo that letter!! If it is too expensive in your area look into less expensive areas by you...or even far away from you..
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• and oh...if the house didnt go into auction...the landlord could be getting out of the forecloser...its only too late if the house goes into an auction. so FIND OUT!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2010