Yikes! My 6 month old daughter is rolling onto her tummy while she's sleeping! Is this safe?

I place my daughter on her back to sleep, and sometime in the night she rolls to her tummy. She can roll from back to front, but she cannot go front to back. Once she is on her tummy she is stuck. In the meantime, do you think I should just let her sleep on her tummy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, she is fine. She should have good enough control of her head to move it.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My Dd slept on her tummy from birth. That's the only way she would sleep. She's 3 now. Just don't put any loose covers in it and she should be fine. She has the motor skills to turn her head at 6 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• As long as she has head control she will be fine!

Obviously she is more comfortable on her stomach so leave her be.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Like the second poster, both my kids were tummy babies. They had no problems
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would let her be since she is doing it herself. She's got good head control and the peak time for SIDS is 3-4 months of age. It happens infrequently after that. Make sure her matress is clear of stuffed animals, take out the bumper, and anything that she could get tangled in.

If you have a sidecar setup or cosleep/bedshare safely, you are right there so I would worry even less.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Once they start rolling over themselves, the risk of SID is reduced. NOTE: I said reduced, not eliminated. Continue not to put anything in the crib with her and make sure is is not overdressed or over heated.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would think that she is okay now to sleep on her belly if she can pick up her head and move it .and like the other ladies said make sure there are no toys and nothing that she can strangle her self with....you cant stand there all night keep flipping her over.. good luck mommy and if your still worry call her doc and see what they have to say.
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 10:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes, once they can roll over on their own, they're fine. On a side note, the first time my oldest son rolled over on his tummy, he was sleeping, and he scared himself and woke up crying!! We went running in there to see what was wrong and by the time we got in there, he had gone back to sleep. It was pretty funny!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Our son has been doing this since about 4 months. I talked to his doc and he said ot leave him be. just take everything out of the crib that he can smother in. I took out everything except his baby blanket. It was hand crocheted by his grandmom and has LOTS of holes in it. So even if he does cover his face with it he can breath (doc agreed with me).

When i would check on him before going to bed, I would just move him back to the middle of the crib if he was close to one of the sides. As long as I didnt' roll him back over he stayed asleep. He's 7 months now and will only sleep on his tummy. As soon as I put him in his crib on his back he grabs the corner of his blanket and rolls over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son was doing the same thing around 4 months. I asked his pedi if it was ok at his 4 month well child visit and she said yes, as long as he is doing it himself. He will be 1 on sunday, and always sleeps on that tummy. Face down, butt in the air :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010