If we were to make a test to get married...

What do you think it should consist of? It's so easy to get married and divorced anymore.

If it was harder, more may really think about doing it in the first place.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's actually much easier to get married than it is to get divorced. My parents have been married for 27 years and are now getting divorced. It's heartbreaking, but they had a good run.
    As for your question... I have no idea lol. But I'm interested in reading some other responses!
    Petite.Amante

Answer by Petite.Amante at 10:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree.

I would want a polygraph done to know if he is a liar or not...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think everyone thinks they know what it's going to be like, but nobody would really know without going through it first...lol Seriously...we'd all fail. Same with motherhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry ,but it's not all that easy to get divorced. It's pretty expensive actually. I do see what you're talking about though. The divorce rate is pretty high. I think maybe people should have court ordered counseling or something before they get divorced to see if they can work out their issues. Only in certain cases though like "we just can't get along".
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Maybe there shoukd be something instituted that makes couples realize that marriage is tough and the wedding is the easiest and least stressful part of being married. ive seen many people worry about the wedding and not the aftermath (marriage).
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't think that it should be more difficult, because we might end up with a larger pop. of unwed parents.  I think we should go back to the idea that marriage is a sacred and serious committment 'Till Death Do You Part' and really reinforce that idea in our society.  I think some folks go into marriage thinking, "Well, I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out, I'll just get a divorce".  I really like the states that have laws requiring marriage counseling and a separation period before granting divorce.  My DH and I agree that divorce is only an option if there is abuse or adultery.  I surely wouldn't judge anyone who feels otherwise, this is just how I feel in my own marriage and this is what we will instill in our DD.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't think there could ever be a "work for all" test. If there had been tests when my Husband and I got married there is NO WAY I would have passed. I had no clue and did not even really look towards the future. I had no expectations what so ever. However my Husband and I were bull headed and when the going got rough we dug our heels in and stuck with it. From what I have seen a lot of people give up after the first couple of hurdles. People really have Hollywood ideas about marriage and it really isn't like that.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think it would have to test for how you would handle finances and how you would raise your children. If you can't agree on those things your going to have trouble. I think most people go into marriage without giving it a thought.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2010