Why do some people recommened risky behavior to others?

I have seen several times on these pages, someone recommend to another parent that they lay their child on their stomach. It's often followed by "I did it and my child is fine". My siblings and I are fine too, but now they recommend differently and I know someone who was traumatized by the death of a baby to SIDS, so maybe I'm over sensitive about the subject, but I cringe everytime I hear someone make this comment. I know that they do not fully know what causes SIDS. I know SIDS can occur even if the baby was on his/her back but I also I know that the incidents of SIDS have decreased with the advice to put your child on their backs to sleep (until they roll over themselves) and that statistics show that more then half the babies that die of SIDS were on their stomachs and I wonder why anyone would take the risk or even suggest to someone else that they do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I put my child on her stomach to sleep as a baby because I tried to listen to the doctor's and lay her on her back. I was admiring her sleep one night [while she on her back] and she puked all over and if I wouldn't have been there to flip her over, she would have choked on it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• This is gonna end bad.....

It's no different than when to turn a carseat around, when to feed solids...and any other issue. Lots of folks continue to do what their family has been doing for generations all because nothing bad has happened yet. They claim that the recommendations change all the time and they don't care to follow a trend. They don't care what studies show or what history shows. Nothing will change their minds except something bad happening because of their actions. And if nothing continues to happen, then, their family will continue to follow the same path for another hundred generations.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, frankly it is because none of it is proven. It is simply a few doctors believe this. Studies have shown differing things. So.....I simply trust experience far more than doctors. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Most likely because they don't see it as a "risk" like you do. Sure today they recommend that babies lie on their backs, but t ruefully by the time I have grandkids it may be the totally opposite again. You're right they don't know the cause of SIDS and their might be a correlation between sleep positions and SIDS. Without proper research they can't say one way or another. My first born laid on his back all the time, never on his side, and even to this day he sleeps flat on his back and has a nice flat head in the back as well. My daughter on the other hand would NOT sleep on her back. It was on her side or tummy. She was also a NICU baby and in the NICU they laid her on her tummy. She was in the NICU for about a week and by the time I brought her home she would only sleep on her tummy or side, almost on her tummy.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It's true in about 10 years, they might be saying to flip them over on their bellies again. If your baby is strong, then more than likely it will be okay. I personally think that co-sleeping with an infant helps them to sleep better, but you have to be very aware of their presence. Some moms can be careful enough not to roll over when the baby is sleeping on their chest and others wont be. Personally having the baby close to me helped me monitor his breathing better. I'm sure he didn't sleep in his own room until he was a bit older. On my chest, I could feel him breath and slept so lightly that I never would roll over or anything. It all depends on the individual baby and individual situation. Some may not agree with the way I handled the baby, but we slept apart from my husband and I was always aware. It was better for both of us. He's a healthy two year old now.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• There has been evidence lately that Co-sleeping is partly responsible for SIDS. And I would NOT recommend Co-sleeping to anyone. I never did and it isn't safe. As far as babies sleeping on their tummies....they do roll over and sleep on their tummies all by themselves...so how can you control that?
    And there are Moms who think smoking pot is harmless too and they swear it doesn't hurt to smoke it while pregnant....I would NEVER recommend smoking pot to anyone. Oh,and some medical professionals think that marijuana will harm the central nervous system of the unborn baby, leading to breathing difficulties when the brain's signals get mixed up.
    There are many reasons for SIDS.And many unknown reasons...they don't have all the answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• "There has been evidence lately that Co-sleeping is partly responsible for SIDS. "

Can you please post a link to this statement? I have not heard this...and I would like to read up on it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• As a PP said, I also was concerned about my son spitting up and choking on it because he was on his back. Many times I tried to prop him on his side to sleep. The doctors always pushed me to lay him on his back. They didn't have an answer to the spit up question.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I heard the opposite is true with co-sleeping.

I am gonna be like the others now: "I co-slept with my son and he was fine. He is a healthy 14y/o." LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, i don't reccommend anything to anyone cuz its pretty controversial. I just said it worked for us.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010