What will happen if I keep breastfeeding my baby 1 breast at a time?

My baby is a little over a week old. Ever since I brought her home, I've been exclusively breastfeeding. The thing is, she only takes 1 breast at a time, not the recommended both breasts. The reason being that even though it's been more than a week, my breasts are still engorged. I have yet to feel them "empty." Luckily when I'm nursing with 1 breast, the other one leaks so something is coming out but baby usually gets full on that one breast. Then when it's time to feed again, both breasts fill up. What will happen if I keep nursing this way? Will my breast ever empty?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep- you're doing great! I wouldn't recommend pumping the other breast empty but relieving the pressure will make you more comfortable. Just be sure to switch breasts, don't nurse from the same one twice in a row. Your baby's appetite will increase in a few weeks and could start nursing from both but even if that doesn't happen there is nothing wrong with it. Also, your supply will even out over the next few weeks and you won't be so engorged.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my son only ever nursed off one side, I just make sure to start with the other the next time
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Actually, she needs to only eat one at a time. So she can get the hind milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• What your doing is completely normal (and right). My son is 7 months old (has been exclusvly breastfed since day one) and he still just takes one breast per nursing. Just make sure you start out on the opposite breast next feeding.

Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. They are a great group of woman with LOTS of helpful advice :)
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 10:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• here is some good info on switching breasts. It helps keep you full if you use both breasts. If she'll only eat one breast, than the other breast will not make as much milk as it needs to, or it could get engorged. Let her use one breast fro one feeding, then try to encourage the other breast for the next feeding. It's important to let them "empty" each breast when feeding, the link i provided a says why.

http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/howdoesbreastfeedingwork/f/alternating.htm

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Sorry, i misread your question. You are doing good. It's actually better not to switch during a feeding. Let them empty the breast. Then for the next feeding, switch breasts & empty that one.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Your doing fine letting her on tht one breast. Next feeding go to the other breast. Pump if you feel you need to release a little...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Your breast are still adjusting in the first weeks of nursing. You are doing great! Feeding on one breast is totally normal for some babies. I fed my dd like that and then at 3 months, I started feeding with both breasts.

When you are nursing, you can feel little lumps in your breast near your armpit and farther away from the areola. These are milk ducts full of milk. You can press on them gently to release milk and help with engorgment on either brest while BF. A lactationist gave me this advice. Make sure you have a recieving blanket. GL.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Totally normal - it's better to feed only from one breast at a time than switch - switching can cause a baby to not get enough of the fatty hindmilk they need. If engorgement is a big problem, pump the other side while baby is feeding (or immediately after) and next feeding switch sides and pump again while feeding. You can start building up a freezer supply that way, for just-in-cases and/or the future.
    Anonymous

• Nothing will happen, nothing bad. Your body will adjust it's supply once it's established. My kids only nursed from one breast. Actually, I had a lot of problems with one breast, so they were pretty much EBF from only my right breast. Only problem I have is a size difference now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2010