Does anyone know if Sylvan is worth the money?

My 6 yr. old struggled with reading and writing in kindergarten. He is going to 1st grade I am worried that he is going to lose too much of what he worked so hard for being off this summer and feel behind when the school year starts. I was looking into getting him some extra structured help. I looked at Sylvan. They want $175 with a coupon just to do his assessment. And it gets more and more expensive after that.
I know there are probably many of you who are thinking why doesn't she just help him herself its just kindergarten. 2 reasons I can't: #1 he won't work for me others can get him to do stuff I cant (homework this past year was always a struggle) #2 I'm not sure how to really teach him how they would without confusing him.
Is Sylvan worth the money?
Anyother suggestions?

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in

• It does not cost $10,000. My friend has both her kids at Sylvan..it is $42 an hour. All the people I know that have used Sylvan are happy with the results and they have a gurantee if your child doesn't improve by 1 grade level, they give more tutoring for free or return part of the fees. If he is having that much trouble, I would recommend it...if he keeps going without knowing the basics, he will just fall further and further behind. My friend waited 2 years for her daughter and now in 4th grade she is at a 1st grade level in math and 2nd grade in reading.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I suggest you look into summer programs in local schools and libraries, my son read and knows his sight words, he will be studing over the summer every night-reading basically. He will be in first grade in Sept.

Rewards are great for homework there has to be something your son enjoys doing that you can take away or not let him do until his work is done. My son comes home, does his homework so he can play his ds for a little while. You have to be strong, it takes a week or two but they finally get the picture. Just don't give in. The K teacher should have spare books he could read over the summer, try to go to the library. You can do it.. It is just k, and kids will do what you let them get away with. Trust me I have 4.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• were having the same problem with my almost 4th grader in reading and math,I was told not to go through sylvan but to see if I could find someone in my local college that is willing to tutor my son. I'm still not sure what I will do all I know is summer will be done soon and then the problems of school will start back up,with my son fighting me to do his homework I'm thinking its a struggle for him cause he doesn't understand it I know I struggled with math in elementary school and noone helped me out.
    I think its really ridiculous what sylvan wants,we won't be going through them anytime soon unless we get rich.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I asked around and found one mom that said it cost like $10,000. So even if it did work I could never afford it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The only child I know who took classes at Sylvan took an erichment class (analytical writing); the parents were very pleased.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• What about online games? www.starfall.com, www.sheppardsoftware.com (FREE)

Workbook from Walmart - $5 or $6 tops

Or worksheets from online

Even just play games with him that force him to try to read, use basic math skills etc.

It's FIRST grade, I wouldn't spend all that money when you could easily just have him do things at home.
    Anonymous