How to console a 5 year old?

Michael adores his uncle! So the last time he was at his house. His grandmother told him, if you do all of his chores. He'll come over to your house and play with you! So Michael did all his chores like feed the pets, chickens & critters, take out the garbage and recyclables! Then get his clothes for him to sleep over. Michael did it all! Then was told his uncle is tired and went to bed. It was only 8pm. Michale was inconsolable, crying, upset and didn't understand! As they drove away his little uncle stood outside watching them driving away as crushed Michael saw him just standing there.. not coming breaking his heart! He loves and idolises him. Then did all his chores too for nothing. How can you prevent that from happening again? How do you explain this to the most sensitive caring kind boy? His uncle just turned to a teen. So he may look only 9 but is a teen. I always loved as a teen to get out of to be with my nieces!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• your 5 year old can take out the trash?! wow, I'm definately not making my son do enough. LOL. That's really sad, I think you should reschedule or reward him in some way for doing all those chores. He needs to be rewarded for his efforts at least.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• This is a valuable lesson for him. Sometimes things don't work out for us to have what we thought we could get. It's ok. Tell him it's a part of life that things can happen to change plans. It teaches him how to cope with disappointment. Learning is always a good thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would have a talk with your lil boys grandmother and let her know how it made you feel and your son as well! There's on sents in the way he was treated!
    Anonymous