Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have to make a decision to schedule vaginal or c-section delivery for my big little girl....worried

Just finished with the doctor this morning at 37 weeks. Our baby has been measuring big since 20 weeks....but they estimate her to be about 9lbs now!!!!! The doctor is suggesting scheduling to have her at 39 weeks (I am ready now). Has anyone else been through this....and what do you think the best route is? Should I try vaginal (she will be about 10lbs) or just schedule a c-section? I feel like I am going to be ripped from stem to stern no matter what and just want to bypass any complications.

Answer Question

Asked by siren77 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 10 (387 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • They told me my son would be about 6lbs, he was 8.12lbs. I was told my daughter was probably an 8-9lb, and she was 6.15lbs. In otherwords, they really can't tell how big the baby actually is.

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • I think I would try vaginal. You can birth a big baby up on your knees..opens birth canal more. They can also be off about the size. Csections are alot more recovery.

    Answer by ria7 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • at 36 weeks they said my ds was 8 lbs 8 oz... I went to 42 weeks an vaginally delivered a 7lb 9 oz baby....

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • i had planned c-section, 4 weeks early
    not because of size but because placenta covering cervix

    planned c section much less risky than c section after going through some labor
    vaginal much less risky than c section
    is this your first?? if you have had one before, you know what you are in for and can make better decision

    Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • They cannot really determine size. And almost always, if your body made it you can birth it. And most of the time, a vaginal birth is WAY easier to recover from. You just might get in there and easily deliver a 7 pounder. LOL

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • if you have to have a c section or decide to
    it is not that bad
    but listen to medical staff when they say take it easy
    you do not want to compromise your recovery by moving too much after
    recovery is NOT a race, you do not get a reward for going against doctors orders and doing too much, you may get another hospital stay or a longer recovery time if you rip you insision, or in my case spinal headaches for months after every time i did anything a bit too much with my back/spine
    but you get get that even with no c section, it was the spinal that did it for me (maybe just roll of the dice, but annath.... (sp?)DOCTOR that puts needle in spine said it was me doing too much too soon

    also, even after you are up and around, do NOT use your back much, i did and i got spinal headaches because i did too much

    Answer by fiatpax at 11:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • Thank you for all the advice! It is nice to know that the doctors could very well be off a pound or so....that may make me lean towards trying vaginal...and the recovery would be faster. I guess a c-section would be way more expensive too....always have to think $.

    Answer by siren77 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • I was in your position 2 weeks ago. I was 37 weeks and they told me baby was measuring 8lbs13oz. My doctor ONLY wanted to do a c-section. I've vaginally delivered 9lbs before so I tried to make an argument against the c-section. My doctor wasn't hearing it...she wanted to do the c-section. Anyways, I went into labor naturally 1 week later (when I was 38 weeks preg) and vaginally delivered at 8lbs15oz. The labor was too quick for me to even have an epidural so it was drug free--and I didn't tear.

    Moral of my story: They can be wrong with estimates. My baby must have only gained 2 oz that last week even IF they were right in the estimate. Also, it's possible to deliever 8,9,or even 10 pounds vaginally.

    My advice to you: If you want to do vaginal, start now with peri massage (manual stretching) to help prevent a tear.

    Answer by keisha613 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • if it were me i would not get induced or have a c-section. look into ICAN international's website to see ways to prevent surgical birth. gl :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • Their estimations are just that...estimations. Doctors and ultrasounds are notoriously wrong trying to guess the size of a baby. They told me with #2 to not expect anything less than a 9lb baby. She was 7lbs 15ozs. I did have an ultrasound a few days before she was born that said she was 7lbs 15ozs, but I think my tech was either really THAT good (which is NOT the case for most of them), or just got lucky.

    I would opt for vaginal, and personally, wouldn't let them induce either as that just increases your chance of a C-Section. But like I said, that's just a personal opinion. GL mama, I hope you get the birth of your choice!

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.