Why are we not supposed to wear tight clothes during pregnancy?

If tight clothes are comfortable then why can't we wear them? I have to wear a belly belt when I exercise and it is kind of tight but I have to wear it to keep my stomach in place. I also have a couple of tanks that are tight fitting but they are comfortable. I just don't understand why I can't wear them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• AIf they are comfortable then they aren't too tight. NOBODY should wear tight clothes are uncomfortable, because it can cut off circulation
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Wearing SUPER tight clothes is bad because they can decrease the blood flow and/or over heat you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Oh come on PP's. It's fun to show off your belly when you're pregnant. Why not?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Pfft, I didn't need tight clothes to show off my belly, it did that ALL on it's own lol. I was HUGE
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I wasn't saying you can't wear tightER clothing (of course, a big belly it is hard not to) but wearing super tight clothing (as I said before) can decrease blood flow, which is bad for the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• But if the placenta provides the baby's blood and oxygen then how would tight clothing prevent blood flow? That isn't really logical.

How tight is too tight? Its not like I'm wearing a corset or anything, but my belly belt IS kind of tight....but I need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think it's tight as in constricting, not tight as in form fitting. If it's tight enough to constrict circulation or blood flow, it isn't comfy. If it's form fitting yet comfy, it isn't constricting you or inhibiting blood flow :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would also say that the concern may be more for YOUR blood flow; it's the same logic that says don't wear constricting clothing when you're hiking or exercising- it can restrict blood flow in your legs etc and potentially be dangerous if done for too long (blood clots, loss of circulation etc)

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• preacherskid said what i was going to. its fine to wear tight clothing, as long as its not too constricting.

i wear a belly band (not for excercise, the kind that helps keep your pants up or cover unbuttoned pants) and i would call it tight, certainly tighter than my other clothes, but its not cutting off circulation or costricting my blood flow.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2010