10 month development

My soon-to-be 10 month old doesnt talk! She babbles but rarely says mama or dada and never says anything else. I try to encourage other sounds and words but she doesnt say them unless its jibberish. She is developing her other physical skills fine, she even took her 1st step at 9 months <3 should I talk to her doctor about my concern for her speach or wait to see if it improves?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 11:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry until at least 18 months, then, if she still says nothing look into Early Intervention.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• She's fine. It seems to be a bit of a trend that babies who develop motor skills rapidly will spend less time on talking and vice versa. It's still very early. My baby is 9 months and has been a mover. She can say mama, dada, kee kah (kitty kat), baba, and up.

Talking as well as everything else that babies do and we take for granted are very complex. Speech takes a lot of tongue, mouth and breath control. Babbling is practice for all that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Gosh no. Thats all thats expected of them at that age. If you are concerned talk to your pedi at her 12 month well child visit :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 10 months and dada is what she says the most. Though she is just babbling it, not meaning it directed at my husband. So to me, it sounds like she is fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• http://www.touchpoints.org/ is a wonderful website on development.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my neice is 16 months and barely started babbling like....3 maaaybeee 4 months ago, and barely started walking like 3 weeks ago. its ok. every baby develops differently.
    mommypeezee

Answer by mommypeezee at 3:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2010