Menstrual Cramps at 32 weeks pregnant??

I know this question has probably been asked before but I am having menstrual type cramping. I called and talk to a nurse and she said I should be fine unless I see any blood or discharge. I have heard of woman going into labor without any discharge. What do you think? Any one else have these kind of cramps at this late of the game?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Braxton Hicks contractions I will be 39 weeks tomorrow and I have been having them off and on for 10 weeks
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• To Sweet pea: Thats what I thought. With my other children I remember the tightening of Braxton Hicks but never the period like cramping. Yuck! Thanks, and Congrats on the baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Period type cramps usually mean labor. Braxton Hicks are just a tightening and releasing. The tightening can get painful for some women, but it is not the same warm, deep ache that feels like a period cramp. If you have true period sensation cramps for more than an hour, I would go to L&D since you're not past 36 weeks yet.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• ThrivingMom: thats not true for every woman. I have been having the exact same period like cramps and I am NOT in labor. Braxton hicks contractions are different with every pregnancy. When my cramps start I take tylenol and drink alot of water and relax for about an hour and they go away, I do agree that if it lasts longer or can be timed you should go to L&D.
    Congrats on your little one too. Are you having a boy or girl?
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Braxton Hicks contractions can feel like menstrual cramps, ThrivingMom. Every woman and her pregnancy is different. All women have different pain tolerances and experiences.

To the originial poster, drink plenty of water and try to relax as much as possible. That should reduce the cramps for the most part, but definitely will probably not eliminate them. I would even try complete pelvic rest for a couple of days (no sexual intercourse) and see if that improves it. If the cramping doesn't improve, I would ask your doctor to check you for any type of bacterial infections. They can cause some severe cramps while pregnant.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I didn't say every time period cramps mean labor. I said usually and that was the advice of my OB/Gyn. This OP is only 32 weeks. I still stand by my advice that if she has it for more than an hour she should get checked out at L&D. BH shouldn't last more than an hour any way.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Thank you! These were all great answers. I am going to keep watch on how long these contractions last. I will see the Doctor in 3 days so maybe he can give me some more insight. Sweet Pea , I am having a little boy!! How about you?
    Anonymous