At what age do you let your child play in the back yard with out you?

At what age do you let your child play in the back yard with out you? Fenced in yard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• my ds is 4 1/2 and is allowed (on rare occasion) to play in the backyard alone (fenced in) while I make dinner, and I can see him from the window at all times
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• 3 where I lived, but, he stayed right near the sliding glass door and I could see him. At our other house, we were way off the road, he was 4. When I was little, I got to play outside alone at 2 or 3.

Most people on here will tell you 6 or even older.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• 2, but only in the back, because itsall fenced in, plus we have 3 dogs that will bark if anything unusual as to happen. but with that being said, its not like i left her out there for hours upon hours byherself..lol..but she would go out if i was cleaning the kitchen, doing dishes or mopping the floor etc..or if i was sitting at the table reading the newspaper..whenever she went outside i always made sur ei could hear her..plus from my kitchen i could see her clearly. since she was about 4, she has come and gone as she pleases. shes 6 now..but still not allowed in the front by herself!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my dd will be 4 in july and i still don't let her go out alone...idk when i will let her, maybe when wemove to a better neighborhood idk
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My 4 & 2 1/2 yos play out on our back deck without us daily. But because of the way our yard is set up we can't let them out there to play without us, you can't even see it from the house, so if something happened we would never know. But if the yard was on the same level as the house and we could see it and it was fenced, I would let them go out there now... I think if we are still in this house, I will most likely let them out there next year or so without us...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Mine are 6 and 5 and I let them go in the back by themselves but only because we have it all fenced in and I leave the screen door open so I can hear them or see them from the kitchen at all times. They are not allowed to be in front by themselves.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 12:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My kids were 3 or 4 but that's because we have small rocks around our pool that they always put in their mouths or threw.
    Now they are 4, 7, 8 and 10 and play outside by themselves all the time (the older 3 since they were 5, 6 and 8 and we moved back here). The older 3 go to the park on their own now. We're a free-range family.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• 3/4. It really depends on your location, neighborhood, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I didn't let my first go out back without me until she was 3 and a half. My middle child is 2 and he goes out back with his big sister (will be 4 in August) without me some. Our backyard is fenced and the entire living and kitchen area is a wall of windows to the backyard. We live in a very quiet neighborhood, but I still keep a very close watch.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• 2.
    Our yards have never been big and have always been fenced in and I can hear and see whats going on so I have no worries about letting them do that at a younger age.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2010