If you dont buy a private room, do you have to deliver in the same room with other women?

If you do how many other women are usually in the same room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no, you will labor and deliver alone, then be moved into another room most likely
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• at the hospital i'm using all the rooms are private and you labor and deliver in the same room you recover and sleep in
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I have never heard of a non-private room... Wow! But no, unless you are delivering in the ER, I can't imagine you could end up sharing a room... However they may have you share a recovery room - which is still totally new to me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I depends one your hospital. My insurance says Im entitled to a semi private room but since most hospitals including mine only offer private rooms, they covered that. I think as long as you are delivering in a birthing center section of the hospital, you should have your own room.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I've had 3 babies, two of them at the same hospital (our fourth will also be delivered at that hospital) and i've ALWAYS labored in a private room, and had my own private recovery room. Sometimes, depending on how many patients arrive, they might have to share a recovery room, but our hospital actually has TWO floors for postpartum care. One is actually in the L&D ward, the other is like 5 stories up...it's sort of like an "overflow". With #3, we were on the "overflow" floor, and the next day moved back down to L&D when a room opened up.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• you should call the hospital. most hospitals have private labor/delivery/postpartum rooms
    Anonymous

• Most hospitals have private labour rooms, many now are moving to single room maternity care which means that as soon as you are registered in your room, that's your room for labour, delivery, recovery and postpartum - aside from c/s. Even without the single room though, you should have your own room to labour in, then you may be moved to a delivery room - but you will still be the only person delivering in that room at that time. Then back to your labour room for a short recovery period and finally to your postpartum room. The single room is much nicer than being carted all over, but no matter you shouldn't have to share a room while in labour or while delivering.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take a tour of your hospital and find out exactly where you will be. These fears can lead to problems in labor. You need to be comfortable with the place and the people.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of non private room in maternity. At the birthing center I'm using, and have used in the past, I know all the rooms are private and you stay in the same room for labor, delivery, and postpartum.

Answer by missanc at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I've never seen of heard of a non-private room in maternity except on movies. Most hospitals provide private L&D and postpartum rooms. Take a tour of the hospital you'll be delivering at, your doctor should recommend that to you anyway so you're familiar with where to go when the time comes.
    Anonymous