• In the Spotlight:

Could she be hyper or just bad?

My 4.5 year drives me insane. She is the sweetest, loving, most adorable girl. She just can not sit still, she never has been able to. As a baby, at bedtime, she would wiggle, tap and kick the wall until she collapsed from being tired. She's been in trouble from yanking on the cat, out of the blue, not even looking at it, just a non-thought out movement, didn't even realize she did it until you point it out to her. She told me about a spider, I told her to leave it alone, she left the room, killed it and came back out just as proudly as she could told me about it. She was really proud of it, not like diobediant about it. She has a smell and tasting fetish too, not sure if that is related..... I just do not know what to do. I am fairly strict, I have been called OgreMom by OTHER MOMS so I can't imagine it is a discipline issue. We are consistant and she does get punished for disobeying it just isn't working. Ideas?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have her tested for food sensitivities. Rast test for IgG, IgE & IgA. All it takes is a blood draw. You should also have her iron level checked. Low iron can cause restless leg syndrome. Intolerance to milk can cause low iron..

Does she act differently after meals? You need to cut out ALL artificial colors & flavors, not just red dye. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• oh wow, that is how all three of my kids are. i just recently got them tested for add and adhd. i never wanted to put them on med. it took me along time. i will tell you it really help so much. not only at home but makes a big diff in school. my boys went from d and f's to a and b. i no it a hard destion to make. spanking, takin things away, time out, grounding them just didnt work. there little brains go 1000. try giving her a mountain due caffiene has a diifernt side a fect for add and adhd kids. it slows the brain down to were they can fouse on what they need to..
    jenifer34

Answer by jenifer34 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• She sounds a little like my ds. He has sensory processing disorder. He tastes, smells and touches every thing. He taps constantly with something! Although I an no doctor, you may want to talk to your doctor or ask for a referral to an occupational therapist. My ds has SPD and ADHD and he has to have meds to help him settle down to sleep at night. You may want to look into it. (And caffeine actually has a calming effect on ds).
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Jenifer34 - caffine, really? We have cut out all caffine, trying to cut sugar when we can, and red dye. We have switched over to whole wheat when we can. Maybe I will try giving her the soda back?
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2010