Do you think this country really needs more government regulation?

I mean, are we really becoming that incompetent that we need the government to tell us what to do? Some people are saying we should have the government monitor our eating habits or eliminate fast food restaurants to decrease the obesity in this country. Why the hell don't people just learn a little self-control? We even let them control what we see and hear on television. Why the hell don't we just change the channel or keep our kids from watching inappropriate programs? Why the f are we so incompetent to make decisions for ourselves? Why let the government make our decisions for us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NO! I think if they'd just enforce the LAWS/POLICIES already on the books, they'd keep plenty busy! But alas, that's not as much fun as perpetual campaigning and suing states for enforcing policies the feds should be enforcing! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Why don't we just let a King run this country? He can tell us what to wear, what to eat, where to work, how much money we can make....oh wait. That's already been done! That's the reason we came to this country in the first place. Isn't freedom great?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes

***
    Care to EXPAND on your well thought out response?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It seems to me that most people only have problems with government regulation where it does not follow that person's particular set of beliefs. For example, republicans often go on about government regulation "interfering" with the free market. Until, of course, something happens such as the current crisis in the Gulf, at which point people want to know why the government is doing more to fix it.

My point is only that what counts as "restriction" can vary a lot, depending on who's doing the talking.
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 1:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The federal government has certain, clear-cut responsibilities. They need to do THEIR job (national security, border security, maintain the military would be a great place to start.) and let me do MY job as a parent. I know my children much better than they do, and I am better at caring for my children than they could ever be. As for the gulf situation, I don't know who is better equipped to deal with this, the states immediately affected, or the federal gov't. That isn't my call. However, the way it looks to me, the states were ready to go, but the gov't wanted to wait. And wait. So we all waited. And now we have what we have. I believe that if the states could have had the authority to act as they saw fit, we wouldn't be where we are right now. But that is just my opinion.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Some people are just to emotional to be able to think clearly when tragedy strikes. Sorry but you can count me out on that one. there is plenty of blame to go around on this BP debacle just as there was after Katrina and the floods in Tennessee and the fires in Cali (I could go on).Facts are none of these things would have been so awful and drawn out had the government not gotten their mitts into it. If you are a real constitutionalist then you can see through the governments games. You either want government in your life or you don't.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• We cut regulators for the mining industry, and more miners died. We cut regulators to the FDA and saw an increase in ecoli. We cut regulators for off shore drilling...

Answer by rkoloms at 2:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• OP here

I wasn't really talking about BP but good points.
    Anonymous

• LoriKeet is right. If they would simply enforce the regulations already on the books, most of the issues would be resolved.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010