if you were to eat healthy...does that also mean that you should watch your calorie intake too?

i know eating healthy doesnt mean you should look at every package and evaluate the calories BUT lets say i bought fruit snacks that were 200 calories a bag...but were full of 100% vitamin C ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's not the calories, it's where the calories come from. Most labels break it down now into calories and calories from fat. Look at how much a percentage is coming from fat. Look too at how much sugar and salt are in it. The thing with calories is you don't want empty ones. A glorified life saver or gummy bear with added vitamin C is still just a piece of candy. The same amount of calories from fresh orange slices would be better all around (course you'd have to eat 5 oranges to get 200 calories).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Honestly fruit snacks are mostly junk. Who cares if it has 100% vit. c. I bet it also has Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, as well as other sugars. An actual piece of fruit is healthy, those snacks are not.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think 200 calories for a bag of fruit snacks is a lot when you can eat an apple or orange instead with a fraction of the calories and more nutrients. I think when we eat healthier our caloric intake naturally decreases because the right foods dont typically have as many calories to begin with.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• A single serving is 200 calories? I'd stick with 100 calories snacks so I'd just eat half the package. You still get the Vit C

Answer by admckenzie at 12:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• yeah when i bought them, they said 80 calories but then when i saw them closer, it said it had 2.5 servings and thats the whole bag of fruit snacks...i make a mistake.
    Anonymous

• Make a fruit salad and throw some marshmellows in there. Its very filling! Even my kids love to eat it (they are 5 and 6), they actually ask for it.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 12:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Fruit Snacks are filled with artificial flavorings, preservatives, and other horrible ingredients. The Vitmin C is even artifical, which isn't good for you in itself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't count calories. I wouldn't consider something called "fruit snacks" to be healthy. What are the ingredients?

Right now, I am eating my favorite fruit snack: frozen blueberries.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2010