I'm a little worried that I might have the baby soon.

I am 36 weeks today, but it's possible I could have the baby anytime this week. Although it is very close to full-term I am still worried about having the baby right now. Anyone ever have a baby at 36 weeks? Was your baby okay?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a baby the day I turned 37 weeks. She was fine. 6lbs 10oz and we both went home 2 days later.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my son was born at 33 weeks, but many 36 week babies came into the NICU while we were there. they were generally fine but had breathing problems and eating problems. lots of 36 weekers don't have to go to the NICU but i'd definitely call my doc/midwife if you really think you will have your baby soon, so they can try to stall things. gl! :)
    Anonymous

• I have the same feeling and I am only 34 weeks :( my doc said we need to try and keep her in there at least 2 more weeks!!!! so scary..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 12:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My friend just had a baby at 35 and 5 days. He has been in the NICU on a CPAP since then and is today being weaned of oxygen if possible, he has been there a over a week now. He was 6lbs 15oz and 20ins.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I've already spoken to my doctor. I've actually been on bed rest for the last couple weeks for the risk of going into pre-term labor, and he even gave me terbutalin to stop contractions, but now he doesn't want me to take it anymore and says if I have the baby it should be fine. I thought yesterday I was labor so I went to the labor and delivery center. The nurse there told me if I had the baby now it would be fine, but she might have eating and breathing problems. Yet sometimes, if I have been contracting alot in the last couple weeks, the baby will sometimes develope itself faster. I guess if she's been suckling on her hands or whatever she shoudl be able to eat, but even with all that I worry.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• that's good that you have talked to your OB about it. i do think that if your baby has to go to the NICU, it will be for a very short time. still, having your baby in the NICU can be very tough! be sure you pump asap if your baby can't breastfeed just yet. hopefully your baby will be born without any problems at all. :) a friend of mine had twins at 35w5days and they did not have to go to the NICU. :) good luck! another idea is to look into how to avoid c-section because vaginal birth can help with getting the lungs ready as well.
    Anonymous

• I would just relax and stay on full bed rest as much as possible! I had the same issues with both of my children. With my first child, I ended up delivering him at 35 weeks estimated gestation, and he suffered from major respiratory failure and was in the NICU for 7 days. With my second child, I was put on complete bed rest and terbutilane pills and shots. My doctor removed me off the medicine at 35 weeks, but I remained on bed rest. I ended up carrying my little girl until 40 weeks, 4 days.. So you never really know..

Just relax and stay VERY hydrated.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010