What should kiddos know going into kindergarten?

I want my child to be challenged, not behind, when she goes to kindergarten. What are they supposed to already have a grasp on going in????

lilmamaten

Asked by lilmamaten at 12:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• colours, abc's, 1-10, shapes, how to print their name, and patterns (ex..A-B-A-B-__) thats all they checked for when my daughter started kindergarten this past year
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• For safety reasons, I think its important they know their full name and their parent's names... maybe a telephone number if they can remember that much.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My DD is 4 and will start kindergarten 09/11 - So I have some time but I am determined to teach her all of her imagary and sight words and basic mathmatics (minor addition and subtraction)...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• colors, shapes, alphabet and numbers. My daughter came out learning to write her name. the importance of friendship. Safety and calling 911 for emergency. She also learned to read. The teacher my daughter had was tough she learned to read, sentences, learned new words and meanings. My daughter and rest of the students learned to everything they needed for the first grade. You can always check your child's school website, sometimes they provide a listing of books they should read over the summer. I know my daughter's school they give rewards to children that read during the summer.
    try this website for additional suggestions.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4EGLC_enUS317US316&q=what+should+a+child+know+when+entering+kindergarten
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• colors, shapes, alphabet, numbers and how to hold a pencil correctly. Believe it or not there were children in my son's K class that had to have an occupational therapist visit them 2x a week because they couldn't hold a pencil because their parents never taught them. Look up PreK and K sigh words and you can start working on them and reading level one books.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Primary Colors, Shapes, Basic Animals and their sounds, holding a pecil correctly, and their numbers to at least 10. They should know their alphabet, read basic three-four letter words, and maybe even how to spell them. It would be good if they knew how to read simple books, but I don't think that's a requirment for Kindergarten.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• thanks for all the answers! My lil one will be 4 in september, so we have time I was just curious what we need to focus on.
    lilmamaten

Comment by lilmamaten (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2010