I think I need antidepressants

I have been battling this for several months because the thought of going on meds doesnt appeal to me too much but I think I need to go on antidepressants. I will not disclose the details of why because I dont feel it's necessary...I'll discuss this with my doctor which I have an appointment with later on. I will also ask the questions I'm about to ask here, I just wanted to get other momma's opinions, as well because you guys have really helped me with lots of things in the past.

Are anti depressants safe to take while breastfeeding?
Will they effect my milk supply?
Is there an effect on someone who is either trying to get pregnant or who is pregnant?
Does it effect weight loss/gain?
Have any of you been or are you on antidepressants?...and, if so, has it helped? Any advice to give me on what to know going into it?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I belive that Zoloft is considered safe to take while breast feeding.No, it will not affect your milk supply or your chances of getting pregnant or not. Yes, it can affect your weight..the out come varies for different people and the type of med it is.Zoloft has a side affect of losing weight, but thats not the case for everyone.I have been on antidepressants and I am currently on one. Yes, it helps and there is a noticable difference if I don't take them for awhile.
    For years, I refused any kind of intervention with meds for my depression adn anxiety. I wanted to deal with it all on my own. But for me, it came down to not being able to deal with it because it is a chemical imbalance in a persons brain...you have no control over that. I mean, still...a lot has to do with mind over matter and staying positive..a positive attitude and outlook helps the condition greatly but for me, I still needed a little help.It works for me,
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• With all due respect, your doctor is EXACTLY the person you should be asking these questions, not us.
    Anonymous

• These are great questions for a therapist. Please ask your medical doctor for a referral.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Of course you will discuss this all with your Dr, you just said you were going to :-)
    However, many Drs don't know a lot about medications and milk.
    Zoloft is the SSRI of choice for nursing moms. VERY small amounts pass into the milk, it is very well studied.
    I am currently nursing my third baby while taking Zoloft.
    It has helped me a lot. For me, I put on a few pounds when I am on it.
    It will not effect your milk supply. It will not effect your ability to get pregnant. I went through 2 pregnancies on it.
    You will have the best success if you get counseling along with the meds. Know that it takes a while to adjust to the meds and find the right dose. The way you feel the first week or so you take it is not how you will feel down the road so you have to give it time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Are anti depressants safe to take while breastfeeding? --Yes.

Will they effect my milk supply?-- No.

Is there an effect on someone who is either trying to get pregnant or who is pregnant? -- They can affect sex drive.

Does it effect weight loss/gain? --Sometimes.

Have any of you been or are you on antidepressants?...and, if so, has it helped? Any advice to give me on what to know going into it? -- Not me personally, but everyone I've known who's needed them was helped TREMENDOUSLY.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2010