Pacifier dilemma

My daughter's comfort before falling asleep is sucking. We have not introduced a pacifier so her comfort is with mama. I loe the bonding, but I am beginning to become emotionally drained and physically sore.
Our doctor has told us to introduce the pacifier slowly and to let her "take it" at her own pace. My problem seems to be that she has no interest in it at all.
I want to keep her comfortable, but I would also like the feeling to come back in my nipples! :)

MakennaNM

Asked by MakennaNM at 1:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my children were newborns, I read to give them the pacifier as much as they would take it for the first three months, and then they would spit it out and not need it anymore. I did find this to be the case for both of mine. I agree with the doctor. When she is done eating, give her a pacifier. You may need to hold it in place at first until she figures it out. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 1:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I HATE PACIFIERS! I would recommend doing something else. Thats just me, though.
    Anonymous

• my dd won't take one hardly ever, even when she does she will suck on it for a few minutes and spit it out and be done. I have found one that she likes, the others she won't even attempt. you just have to find one she likes. if you hold it in her mouth for a few minutes she might eventually take it..
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take your nipple out of her mouth once she is in a deep sleep. It's what I do. I also hate pacifiers. We have one for extremely long car rides but she doesn't suckle it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My daughter only used a pacifier when she was in her snowsuit and couldn't get her hand in her mouth. We took it away in the spring (she was about nine or ten months).

Answer by rkoloms at 2:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• From what I was told, you should never use your nipple as a pacifier. When my daughter was done eating I would take her off. If she wanted to suck I would give her the pacifier. Sometimes she would take it sometimes not. Try different pacifiers, I tried 3 different ones, see which one fits the mouth better. i do not like pacifiers but, it is good for them to suck. When your baby starts to get teeth then you can get rid of them.
    Anonymous

• Suckling builds milk supply. pacifiers are mommy substitutes, not the other way around. A nipple can never be a pacifier.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Try different ones and maybe one will take. My DD loves to suck and without the paci she would have been attached to me nonstop as a baby. We used the Avent pacifiers.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2010