how in the world do i get them to use a sippy cup?

my nine month old boys will not even TRY to use a sippy cup.
I'm worried I won't be able to ween them off a bottle!

I have tried the nubby ones with the handles and siliocon tops that are like regular sippy cups i've tried the same brand in a water bottle looking thing with a top that looks kind of like a nipple (they wont even chew on THOSE) and ive tried the ones that have handles that are straws.

the nubby ones with the handles (with the silicon tops that look like regular sippy cups) are the closest we've gotten to working. but all they do is chew on them, (SOMETIMES they suck out of them) but even when they suck on them, they always let it fall out of their mouth... they wont drink anything that comes out of it.

should I just get the regular plastic kind and put their milk in it?

what should i do?
when is the best time to start weening them off the bottle?

advice, tips, comments, thanks :D

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a cup with a straw. Sippys are a pain, the don't have to tip a straw cup.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I have an almost 1 year old and I am going through the same things with a sippy cup. I have heard good things about the cups with the straw, I might be going to those next. Also worried about him being on the bottle too long.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I started my son on a sippy cup when he was about 9 months. I just stopped giving him his bottle during the day he got it in the morning and at night with dinner. Other then that i made sure his cup was in his reach. If they get thirsty they will drink from it. It could also be that what is in the cup is not what they want to drink. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My daughter went from breast to sippy cup without any issues. We introduced a sippy with water at around nine or ten months; around her first birthday, she was used to having water with meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son would never take a sippy cup. Everyone kept telling me, "Try a different kind." So I did and wasted a bunch of money. I now have like 10 different sippy cups at my house that will never be used. lol I'm glad now though because I don't have to break him of it. We gave him a straw or he just drinks out of a regular cup. I don't think kids need to walk around sucking on a cup all day anyways. He lets us know when he is thirsty, and we give him something. Good luck!
    sahm_

Answer by sahm_ at 2:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'm using a tupperware cup with my baby and it seems to be the easiest for her. I had a bunch of types from when my son was little so we are trying out different ones. I think that's the best way to do it and just help them out a little bit at a time, eventually they will catch onto it.
    Anonymous

• 9 mos is pretty young. Try different ones. But they should start getting the feel for it. Our DD was kind of good at it by the time she was 12 mos. We just threw all her bottles out so she didn't have a choice. If she wanted a drink, she had to use a sippy cup!
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• @deelite12 hahaha thats a great idea. that was what I was going to do with binkys but they never used them.

thanks everyone. I think I'll go with anons idea, give them sippies during the day and bottle in the morning and night.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010