is regression common during potty training?

*sigh* my son is about 1 month into potty training but recently he has been ignoring his body cues. He just stops, has an accident, says "uh oh" or 'ewww" and goes on with what he's doing. he was doing soooo well. He was telling me and SO when he had to go, held it in till he made it to the potty, let the pee out and cheer and applaud. Now it's like "eh whatever". I have been consistant and even if he has an accident I escort him to the potty. Is this common? what can I do?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am right there with you Owl Feather, my son has been doing the exact same thing. I just keep telling him to go potty in the big boy potty and NOT in his pants. If it seems like he is not going because he is too engrossed with something (like his game boy) it gets taken away and he doesn't get to play with it for the rest of the day. I just keep gently reminding him to go potty every 45 mins to an hour, sometimes he will but that little reminder, over the last week has gotten us close to back on track. Now to do as well in big boy undies!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• VERY common, just be consistent and stick to your guns. It will get back on track.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• thanks! it's just so frustrating! there's been no major life changes or anything lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes, very common. My son did this for ages... it was frustrating but it did eventually pass. One thing that helped for us was to do bare bottom potty training when we were home- he paid much more attention when he was naked, it helped to keep his mind on task.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010