Kinda odd question.

My daughter is 4 months and there is this line from the bottom of her belly button straight down to the top of her private area. It’s darker than her skin color. I’m not sure what it is but it’s a perfectly straight line. I thought it was just from her diaper but it’s been there for a week. Maybe longer guess I never noticed. She has her 4 month apt in two weeks so I will ask then. It’s just so strange. My other daughter is 4 and she never had anything like that. It’s just a very light line it almost looks like a very tiny light stretch mark. I donno. Just odd. Anybody?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter has that too... it's just a line.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• HUH? Is that normal? I have never seen that before on any baby.
    Anonymous

• It could a hormonal thing. I thought women got those when they got preggo. I dunno sounds strange for a 4 month old. Just ask the ped about it. It may be nothing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It's the linea nigra (literally 'black line')- some women get it when pg. It's quite possible she still has some hormones left over from your pregnancy, or it's possible that it's just more noticeable on her. Does she have a darker skin tone? One of my kids has a barely noticeable line from her belly button down- you have to strain to see it but it's there. My doctor said it's often more noticeable with darker skin tones who have more melanin in the skin. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Op here
    Yes my husband is hispanic and she is dark like him. My first daughter is white as a ghost. blonde hair blue eyes. This baby is the oppisit.
    Anonymous

• I agree with freela, perhaps she has left over hormones from your pregnancy. I cannot speak of it being an ethnic thing as I have no experience with Latino babies. Ask the ped but I have a feeling all is well. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010