My 5 months old wakes up for a bottle at 5 am!!

My baby slept through the night since she was 3 months old, but a few weeks ago she began to wake up for a bottle at 4 or 5 am! She goes to sleep at 9,30pm and during the day she takes 3 naps of 30 min each. Is this normal??

Cushi

Asked by Cushi at 2:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a growth spurt I imagine, just feed her, in time she will stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes. She's hungry. All babies wake, sleeping all night for more than 3-5 hours at a time is unusual.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• when my son did this i added an extra ounce at his bedtime that way he wouldnt wake up soo early hungery
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• normal
    sleep patterns will change
    remember fondly when she slept more
    and try to remmember that other parents have kids that slept worse
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Get ready for it. My theory is that all parents suffer sleeplessness at some point. I have friends who kids slept from day 1 through the night. Then at 6, 7, 15 mos. suddenly the kid was up all night. We all pay the price:) Getting up only once at that age is pretty good.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Totally normal. I know it's not as good as the sleeping thru was, but at 5 months my DD woke multiple times a night to nurse so you can still count your blessings. Your baby is just hungry.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Definitally feed him. If he takes a full feeding you know he is hungry- if he only takes a few swigs maybe he just needed help falling back asleep. My son has been sleeping thru the night about a month now (he is 4 months). He goes down between 7:30-8pm and will usually sleep till 6am. Every once in a while he will wake at 5am for a bottle. He went thru a little spell where he was waking up at 2am for a feeding for about 4 days, then he just went back to sleeping thru on his own. Sometimes he even goes to bed as early as 7pm and will sleep till 6:30-7am. It just depends on his needs during that time. Sleep patterns change so much during the first year or so. This is my 3rd baby and I have learned to just roll with it. If he is stuck in a not so great pattern- I know eventually he will work it out. =)
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 3:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• oh- my son will also take 3 naps a day. 2 shorter ones 30-45 mins each and 1 longer one lasting 2-3hours.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Oh, yeah. Babies and toddlers seem to like watching the sun rise!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010