Has anyone ever been in my situation?

I got a notice on the door that the house we are renting is being forclosed on and we have to be out July 23rd I called the number on the paper to the title company and it was confirmed. My landlord is acting really weird he emptied out his garage about 2 months ago all of the sudden which never would have happened unless it was serious we've lived her 4yrs now and this is barely. he never said a word to us now since I called him yesterday he's starting to say oh I have a lawyer and it's still my house and they shouldn't be the ones to tell you that and yadayada...I don't know who in hell to believe What are my rights??? and how would you handle this the bank is real tight lipped even if its only to tell me if he lost it or not they won't say shit! I'm really in a bind only answer if you know or have been through it?? Does anyone work for a title co or bank??

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• You probably have several more months of living there if he barely got the foreclosure notice. Did you read it? It should have a 'date of sale' and a website where the sale will be listed. You can monitor the sale and then plan your new move accordingly. I'd be looking for a new place.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My neighbors house was to be foreclosed on back in Dec of 2008. The auction date wasn't set up til Oct of 09 and they were still in the house the entire time. Somehow they got out of it and saved their house cuz they are still there and the auction was cancelled.

Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Most municipalities have a website where you can find upcoming auctions/other foreclosure information. Look to see what date it is up for auction, around here at least, if a specific date is given it means that the auction has already been set.

As a renter, you don't have any right to the property; if it's been foreclosed on you have to move out when the bank (or sheriff) tells you to. If you've paid rent (or a deposit) and won't be able to live in the property you may be due a refund, but from the landlord. That would be a small claims court matter, not a way to stay in the property longer. (The bank won't speak to you, you do not hold the mortgage.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I am currently going through this. We were served the papers in December about the home going into foreclosure. We are moving out in a few weeks and the home will definately go to auction. There is no way my landlords can keep the house with the financial trouble they are in. I wouldn't do anything until you are served an eviction notice by the bank and when the realtor shows up at your door tell them that you want "cash for keys". Meaning that you will leave the home in a decent respectable condition with all of the appliances that it came with. If you bought any applicances then you need to make sure that you have your reciepts so that you can prove that. Some companies are giving 3 grand for this. I would stick it out. If you have a lease they still have to honor it by law. I am working for a title search company and these are things that I have learned from doing my job. If you need any more infor please pm me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The agreement between the owner and the bank ranks higher than the agreement between the owner and you. Meaning, if it is in foreclosure, the bank can't tell you anything about it because you're not the owner. It's illegal for them to share that information with you. If the house actually is foreclosed, you have no rights to live in it, regardless of your lease with the owner.

If I were you, I'd start looking for another place to live. I wouldn't want to wake up one day and have the bank's repo men there evicting you. My neighbor had that knock on her door and by noon everything she owned was on the sidewalk so they could secure and lock up the house. The bank doesn't care about your lease, they're just doing what happens in a foreclosure. It's your landlord that you should be mad at getting information from. Move out before the bank does it for you.
    Anonymous