My husband and I have talked about another baby.

We have talked since day one before getting pregnant with our son we wanted our children close together. We are both close with our older siblings who are 17 months apart with us... Our son is 5 months right now... I've talked with family and they have been there for us so much... Friends have told us it was a horrible idea... My son would be jealous... Any other out there with their babies close together? How do you deal it? I know some days are worst then others and is stressful...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• My 1st and 2nd are 20 months apart. My 2nd and 3rd are also 20 months apart. It's a nightmare. Some moms love having them close, but I find it to be stressful and beyond challenging, of course I have 3 kids and not just 2. My oldest will be 4 in August and she still hasn't gotten over the jealousy of me bringing home my 2nd baby from the hospital. She's extremely jealous of him and the second they are out of my sight they are hurting each other. When she gets really mad she'll even gouge his eyes with her thumbs.

The most challenging part is just trying your best to protect a fragile baby from an angry, jealous toddler. Simple things like letting baby crawl on the floor can be dangerous if your 2 yr old decides he's jealous at that moment. Also, the toddlers sometimes try to feed the baby their snacks. So I have to watch super closely so the baby doesn't choke on a raisin or goldfish.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The only advantage I have seen in having them close is you have all the toys, clothes, and baby gear ready to go. No need to buy new stuff. Heck, you don't even have time to pack stuff away before you need it again. But the convenience of having the kids close together has been at my DD's expense. She and I were so close and she was really thriving and then I had her brother before she even turned 2 and she's never been the same. If I had it to do all over again, I would have spaced them 3 years apart. My oldest loves the youngest and enjoys being a good helper. A 3 year gap seems to be just right.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Thank you so much for the advice!! I wanted to try when my son was about 7-8 months... My husband and I both said we want another... When our son turns 7 months... I think we'll talk more into and see if we still feel the same thing... :)
    Anonymous

• i totally understand me and my hubby talked about haveing another baby our son is 1 and we want another one i finally met our friends baby today and i want another one.. im sure my son would be jealous but at the same timethey will eventually get over it.. me and my sis are 11/2 yrs apart but family has basically said the same thing they said to u it is a bad idea... but hopefully i will decide what to do good luck to ya
    ryansbabygurl88

Answer by ryansbabygurl88 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010