• In the Spotlight:

How to get him potty trained

My son just turned 4. He is still not fully potty trained. He will usually go pee in the potty. Sometimes he has accidents. He will very rarely poop in the potty. I have been trying underwear during the day and diapers at night because they are cheaper than pull ups. He will poop in his underwear. I am so fed up with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wish I could be more help but my son is 4 1/2 and still does this...hope you can find something
    Anonymous

• I have the opposite problem. My son will poop on the toilet but will pee himself even though he knows he has to pee! Boys are harder to train...have you tried just backing off, putting him in pull ups for awhile and then starting up again later? Maybe if you act like you don't care and give him a visual promise of his reward (a picture of his favorite thing to do or a toy he can earn), he will come around. I don't know if it will work but it is just an idea! Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Have you tried a reward system? Give him tokens towards a larger present (since little ones probably won't motivate him). You can decide if you want to take tokens away when he poops in his pants vs just him just not getting a token when he has an accident. You could even use the tokens towards an activity he likes but doesn't do frequently.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• We have a candy jar. To motivate him to go when he tried he'd get 1 m&m and 2 if he actually peed. For poop we stepped it up a notch and give him a smarties, little box of nerds or something along those lines. He *used* to get something every time he pooped but my little stinker would squeeze a nugget out just for some candy, so now it's only once a day. It really helped that he got to pick out his candy and help put it in the jar. Also, in the beginning he received a few small toy treats under $5 for milestones. HTH!
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 8:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We tried and tried and tried with our 3 1/3 year old but he just had no interest in the potty. Now he will go pee all by himself. We are still working on the "stinkies" I know how frustrating it is, believe me, but they need to do it on their terms. Especially boys because they are more difficult to potty train. We needed to let Nate decide when he was ready and now that he has, our life has been so much easier in the potty department. I know this is not helpful, but maybe its a little reassurance.
    actingout

Answer by actingout at 9:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2010