why is it hard for some people to make friends?

is it because they are shy, hard to trust, or just want to be by themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Could be any number of reasons. For me, right now I just can't seem to connect with anyone that I am as comfortable with as the friends I made while in colleg. They have all moved back to their home states, so the only way we stay in touch is on FB. When I was a kid, I was just super shy and preferred books and running around with my brothers getting dirty to trying to put myself out there and make friends. We also moved a lot when I was a kid, so most of the friends I had I left within a few years at most. Makes it harder to form good friendships later on.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• For me, it's fear. On the outside, people think I am a very confident person. On the inside, I'm afraid that I will fail and that people don't like me. I remember in high school a group of girls sitting at a lunch table. Everyone knew they were best friends. One of the girls left the table and when she did, the other girls started bad mouthing her. When she returned, they all acted like her best friend again. I am in my 30's, but I still wonder what people say about me behind my back. So I just hold people away. I have a lot of people with whom I am friendly, but I wouldn't call many 'friends'.
    Anonymous

• For me it is confidence. On first impression I 'decide' if that perons is going to like me or not and react to it. It's really stupid, I know. I love the internet because I no longer have try and interpret social cues and there for I don't mistake someones facial expressions or tone as a sign they 'don't want like' me.' I have started a Mary Kay business and it has been SOOO good for my confidence. I get to practice talking to people with a purpose and in some cases a script and it really helps me connect better. Couldn't be happier!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You know I ask myself that same question everyday.
    The answer I have yet to find. If you find out let me know..
    Hugs
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Because literally everyone else on Earth is a friggen idiot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2010