Has your toddler ever accidentally injured or killed a kitten or puppy?

A toddler of a friend of mine picked up thier 6 week old kitten and threw it so hard across the room and it hit the entertainment center and the poor thing was knocked out cold. It came around after a few minutes but it wasn't acting normal the rest of the day. The next morning, the kitten was dead.
how sad is that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my six year old was two, he accidentally stepped on one of the newborn kittens that our cat had. The poor little kitty had to be put-down because she wouldn't eat for 24hrs. and I didn't want her to starve to death. It was terribly sad, but it was an accident. My son didn't mean to hurt the baby kitty.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• That is horrid. And precisely why small children are not supposed to be able to handle small animals on their own. They are not toys- they are living creatures. Shame on the parents for allowing that to happen.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• oh, how awful. I have never experienced anything like that.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My DD plays rough with our dogs some times (she is two) but has never even come close to hurting them. She pick up the cat by its neck one time, and she pinned one of our Poms to the floor, but wasn't doing it to hurt them, and it didn't hurt them. We have taught her from a VERY young age that she has to be soft and nice to the animals. Our other Pom (not the one she pinned to the floor) is very small and fragile so we try to keep her away from DD, just in case.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was 4 when our cat had kittens in the morning as we were leaving. she wanted the orange runt. as we were walking out the door later on the kitten ran under her foot and she landed right on its neck - it died. it was horrible! if a child is too young to understand that's a living creature that can be harmed with such action, they shouldn't have had it... :-(
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My niece accidentally killed the family bird. My niece was 3 at the time. The bird was in it's cage and my sister went to the bathroom. She did not realize that E (my niece) had figure out how to open the cage. She got the bird out and then put the blanket over it. I guess it suffocated the bird. My sister came into the room and asked what was under the blanket and E said that the bird was. My sister rushed to take the blanket off, but it was too late.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• WTF? My DD is 20 months and has NEVER hurt or killed an animal. I also know better than to leave her alone with one. I understand accidents happen, but throwing a kitten is NOT an accident.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• No, my son has been gentle with animals since he was a baby. I always thought he'd go through a rough phase with them, but he's a natural. Biggest animal lover ever...for a 2yr old!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 6:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• oh no!! that little boy needs to know how to treat animals of all kind...my 2 yr old is very gentle and loves animals...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2010