How can I help my DD gain weight??

She's allergic to milk, so I can't give her pedisure or any of those type things :(..She's 38 inches, but 25lbs and she won't STAY at that size, either..She'll drop to 24.5..She eats plenty, is healthy, and 3 years old in August..Very tall and skinny..She can wear 12 month shorts and any bigger fall off of her little waist..I am only really worried because she has 6 more surgeries (for cleft lip/palate) and I don't want her to fall behind..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Aaaah. What about Neocate Jr? It's an elemental toddler/child formula drink. There's EO28 and some others. Ask her doctor? What do they say? They also make coconut milk yogurt and you can use coconut milk. Is she getting enough calories? Have you seen a registered dietitian?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would like to reasure you that maybe she is just that way. My sister is 37, 5'5" has had two children and struggles to try and maintain a weight of 100lbs. She does not watch what she eats and does not over exercise. She does do some cardio and limited weights, but only to maintain her bones to prevent osteoperosis that is prevalent in our family.
    My mom used to offer to pay her if she would hit 100lbs when we were in high school. She could never manage to earn that money.

My son is the same way. He is 11 years old, and 4' 9" tall. He only weighs 68lbs. I'm trying to figure out where he put it, because I can tell you, that child eats and it's not always healthy because I'm trying to get him to gain weight. I give him Pediasure and it's not working!! I struggle to find clothes that fit as he is too tall for what fits his waist.

Now me...I'm slightly overweight and I try to lose--go figure!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Is she active still? Seem happy/energetic etc? You might try starting vitamins, and maybe increasing the carbs and proteins a little- not a lot, she is still pretty young. Try having more "superfoods" on hand for her- things that are loaded with all sorts of good stuff. To be honest, though, she may never gain a lot of weight at anything resembling a normal pace, and it may be difficult for her to maintain her weight at times. I have been underweight my whole life; I just can't gain weight like other people. Also, it is normal for weight to fluctuate by half a pound to several pounds throughout the day depending on how a person feels, what they have eaten/drank, what time of day it is, etc. If I weigh myself in the morning and at night, I weigh about three pounds more at night than in the morning. Bottom line, as long as she is active and healthy, and her doc(s) aren't overly concerned, she is fine as she is.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son is 14years old. 5'3" and 84lbs. LOL He has always been on the skinny side. His BMI is 14.9 and he is in the 3% for weight. At three, the doctor said he was in the 50% for weight and height. I can't remember right now what he weighed, when I get home, I will look.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• According to the growth calculators, your daughter is:At 2 years and 10 months:

your child is 25 pounds, and that is
    at the 4th percentile for weight.

your child is 38 inches, and that is
    at the 81st percentile for height.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• We got her tested for a lot of stuff just to be safe..she isn't developing slowly at all, and actually on most levels she is ahead for her age, but she really tiny..My husband is 6'3 and i'm 5'0 and a size 5-7 (ok not TINY), but not exactly big either.., but I was little all my life until I had kids..I never got above 100 till I was 20..So it's possible it's genetic and get inherited my husband height, and my frame size..
    Anonymous

• Ok, My son was 30lbs @ 30 months and 36.5 in @ 3 years. So, he wasn't much different.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I completely understand your concern. My skinny one had his jaw broken and had to be wired shut. Lived on Ensure. And needed an immediate cleaning the minute the wires came off. It has been 3 years since that incident and he is fine, still skinny, but fine and he has had his first adult growth spurt and is about 5'8" He finally reached 104 lbs. was 97 recently. I'm excepting another growth spurt this summer. His father was the same way.  Just keep feeding her!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2010