Breastfeeding....breast pain on left side for 2 months!! Any ideas as to what it could be?

I'm currently breastfeeding my 11 month old baby and I've been having some pain in my left breast for at least 2 months now.

I nursed my DD for 2 years and had mastitis twice during the first year so at first I thought that is what was happening but I've never developed a red or warm spot. And I would think a clogged duct would either have cleared or got infected by now.

It hurts from underneath my arm pit and all the way to the bottom side of my nipple. It's sore kind of like a bruise or like if it's been to long since I've nurse. You know like if you're engorged?

Anyone know what it could be?

I have a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks. That's the soonest they could get me in. I'm pretty worried. ANY IDEAS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would contact a Lactation consultant in the meantime. Since that's what they deal with on a daily basis, they may have some thoughts.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Does it hurt during let down, while nursing, after nursing or all of the time? Are you running a fever at all? Do you feel a lump at all in your breast or armpit?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It hurts all the time. I'm not running a fever and no I don't feel a lump. I've felt for a lump several times but never found anything.

I hurts from the armpit to the nipple in them "line" sort of which makes me think it's something to do with one of my milk ducts but I don't know.
    Anonymous

• I'm glad you have a dr appointment. It could be a clogged duct. I wouldn't even rule out thrush as a possibility. Thrush can hurt all the time and the pain can travel to your armpit or collar bone. Sounds like you need to be seen by a dr. Wish you didn't have to wait 2 weeks. :(
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• have you tried fully draining your breast? Gosh, i remember that feeling when it felt like my boobs were going to burst. I would have to wake up in the middle of the night sometimes, even when dd was sleeping to "milk" myself with my hands...LOL! Sometimes it was so bad & painful, that i would drink my glass of water on mu night stand & just empty my breast in that glass because i could not wait long enough to go upstairs to get one of those breast milk bags. But, when i emptied my breast, it always felt so much better. Do you have LOTS of milk like i did? You could just be overfull. Try totally emptying it, if that doesn't work, than hopefully it's nothing serious. Good Luck!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2010