Crying it out, Opinions, advice, tips PLEASE HELP (twins)

So I'm on the fence about the CIO method. I have 9 month old twin boys and idk how it will work!

the tenitive plan I have in my head that I think I might try is start a routine with them and then once we have the routine going, start having them cio in their crib however. I'm concerned that they'll feed off each other, keep each other up, and it won't work well. idk i'm worried about it

any moms with twins ever done this?

plus they're 9months so theyre teething BAD (top teeth) and apparently going through a growth spurt so my question is, should I wait a month or two before I try this? is now the best time?

so lost and confused.
I just don't see how I can do this with twins. I need some help!!!
Thanks

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until at least they are 1. At 9 months they dont comprehend or understand why you are doing that to them. And if they are teething, they obviously need something, to be comforted.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would NEVER CIO. Babies cry for a reason.

Every time I think about CIO I think about how bad my head hurts when I've been crying and what it must feeel like to be so small, in pain and know that mommy's not going to do anything about it.

Get the book "No Cry Sleep Solutions"
    Anonymous

• I also think about how sad i feel when I cry myself to sleep. Not a good feeling , llet alone for a little child that doesn't know if they were abandoned or what.
    Anonymous

• It's not a punishment, Mom. It simply helps the child to learn that he needs to go to bed by himself. If you lay him down in his crib, the goal is to have him go to sleep, or lay there quietly. After a night or two of him throwing a tantrum, trust me, he will learn it's what he needs to do. It's not something that is set in stone... you just do it and he learns... simple as that. I don't understand asking all these questions about it... I hope to God, that there are not children out there who have never been allowed to cry it out for some reason or another. Also, Mom, crying it good for the lungs. It's how they open up those little alveoli and breathe. It's actually good for them. Good luck.

Anonymous

• Be careful Mommies.. I had a child who had colic for 6 months - 14 hours a day and never learned to self sooth - its not always an option NOT to do this - I was recommended to do this after my son didn't sleep for 3 days straight and talked with 3 different Peds about it also- after 6 months, it is technically ok - I tried all the methods in no cry sleep solution and happiest baby on the block before even attempting CIO - I dont have twins though so I don't know how much I could help you but email me if you have questions or need support on this subject..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It is a punishment to them when they are so young and do not understand what the hell is going on. At that age they cannot LEARN to go to bed like that. They are only falling asleep because they are exhausted from crying. Not because they have learned "oh guess my mother isnt coming back ill fall asleep now" its because they are exhausted and beat from crying. 9 months is too little. And twins, when were they born? early? like most twins? which means gestationally, they are younger than 9 months.
    Anonymous

• I'd say 9 months is way too young for CIO, though I have dealt with two crying babies at once and I understand contemplating giving it a try. I think at 9 months they still need snuggles and reassurance. A routine is very helpful, but you don't have to be excessively strict with it. If one baby naturally goes to sleep first, let him and then concentrate on the more difficult one. With mine I would go through our bedtime or nap routine and try to lay them down in their cribs when they looked drowsy but not all the way asleep. If they resisted sleep I'd pat them on their backs until they fell asleep, but I tried not to get them back out of their cribs if at all possible. If they are having teething pain they may need some baby Orajel or possibly even Motrin. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• that is something totally different thana colic baby. this is just because she wants to.
    Anonymous

• I have 4 yr old twins, and I would never recomned CIO for twins. The stress it will put on you and them is just massive. It would be 10 times harder for you and the twins than it will be for a singleton.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I guess I relate or understand because the more I tend to my son or comfort him, the worse he became is what I am trying to get accross -now I have an almost 3 year old who still tends to wake up 1-6 times a night - CIO worked from the them he was 9 months old to 18 months, then he just stopped sleeping through the night after a virus and now I can't let him CIO because he's in a big bed and flips out and Its way harder on me now than it was after colic lol!! so here I am waking 1-6 times with my almost 3 year old and we both tend to be on the edgy side because we are getting such broken sleep - the more I went to him, the more he woke and the more he needed comfort,. Again. I didn't believe it so I got 2nd and 3rd opinion's and now its too late - he has horrible sleep patterns and he's too old for CIO as he FREAKS out and we will battle up to 4 hours.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010