I'm worried I wont be able to breastfeed again...can anyone help?

I have a two year old girl and I was set on breastfeeding but after she was born it turned out to be a lot harder than what I thought. I had a lactation consultant come in when I was still in the hospital and nothing worked. I felt like the lady was ripping my nipple off and practically smothering my newborn and still nothing. I tried every techniqe and wore all kinds of funny plastic things but still nothing. They told me I had flat nipples but they were not invert so there shouldn't have been so much issue but there was. Me and my daughter were extremely tired and out of energy from trying by the time we left the hospital so I gave up and it was a decision I still regret. I felt like I was selfishly starving her and so I resorted to formula which was extremely expensive. Im worried history will repeat its elf with my second due in a few months. Any ideas besides pumping? Im going to do that too eventually...

BaileysMommy523

Asked by BaileysMommy523 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would find a different LC and see if they can help. As for pumping, you shouldn't have a problem due to nipples but be forewarned that some women just cannot pump. GL!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Every baby is different, this one may be so easy for you!! Remember not just you are learning, the baby is as well. My daughter took 5 days to latch on, i was crying and frustrated and exhausted!!!! I stuck it out and she eventually got it, but i wanted to give up a little bit because i just did not think she would get it... she finally did and now she loves her boobie :)

Try to just stay calm when doing it, get a lot of skin to skin contact, talk to the baby, tell them good job when they are making progress, if possible have dad right there too helping and talking, tickle their jaw with your finger to try and get their mouth moving.... just relax breathe smile and think of your baby.... try not to think of the last time you tried and how hard it was, that will only bring negative thoughts and you dont want any of that. :)
    Good luck!!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I had flat nipples. My OB gave me great advice; I can't believe I've never heard anyone else say it before. Get some breast shields (the ones with the small wholes in it for your nipples to pop out). Where them for 3 hours every day for about 30 days. With no pain at all your nipples will pop right out. I had been embarrassed by my small nipples my whole life and then all of a sudden had normal nipples after falling my dr's advice. I just wore them for about a month starting at 7 months pregnant.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• why would they just pop out?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• EDUCATION is what ytou need. Flat nipples are a beatable propblem. BREAST SHELLS. Great products that you can wear in pregnancy to "train" the nipples to stand out just enough. Then there's the Lansinoh Latch Assist; GENIUS device to draw out the nipple.

I'm also going to recommend "So That's What THey're For" by Janet Tamaro. Great basic book.

And stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Contact your local La Leche League. They will spend more time with you than a lactation consultant. I used the breast shields for maybe three days then I didn't need them anymore. It does take time to learn.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with seeking out LLL. Their meetings are free to attend. There is a fee if you want to become a member, but membership is not required.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• A friend used something called "supple cups" which I believe kind of correct flat/inverted nipples, somewhat permanently. She said they worked wonders, using them towards the end of her pregnancy. By the time the baby was born, she was able to latch perfectly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• They pop out because wearing the shells draws the nipple out by gently stretching the ligament that is holding the nipple in. It's not painful to draw them out. Mine were completely flat when pregnant with my first. I drew them out with Medella brand shells in my 3rd trimester and I've successfully BF 3 babies since then.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I have gotten more info and more encouragement from the few of you than anything else I could find online. But please keep posting any helpful advice I need all the help I can get.
    BaileysMommy523

Answer by BaileysMommy523 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2010