Thank you notes

What were you taught about sending thank you notes? If you are in person or call the person to say thank you, should you still send a thank you note?

hollyanne31

Asked by hollyanne31 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• depends on the gift/occasion. If its a birthday/christmas then a thank you card is in order. If its a $2 toy they gave when you visited then nope. Also depends on the relationship as far as the phone goes. For some a phone call is enough, others expect a thank you. Honestly the easiest way, especially if this is someone who you'll be getting gifts from for a while, is to call em up & ask them if they want a thank you card or not. That way there's no confusion, hurt feelings or lack of protocol. Don't have to be blunt about it, just get creative & ask or make it a hypothetical ?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't care if I get thank you's or not. And I think it is annoying when people get bent out of shape for not getting them. Usually when someone gives you something you have naturally thanked them in person right at that moment. How many more thank yous do you need?
    Anonymous

• I was never taught anything about thank you notes. I started writing them myself when I was about 11 or 12. If I get a gift in person I thank the person then. If it's a big occasion gift like a wedding gift or a baby shower gift I send a note too and I will also send a note if the person mails me something unless I'm seeing them shortly e.g my MIL often has stuff sent direct for birthdays so I call to let her know it's here and thank her.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I write thank you notes for everything and everyone. However, if I give someone something, I don't expect one.
    Anonymous

• I think for occasions like weddings, bridal or baby showers, graduations, etc. that thank you notes should be sent, for things like birthdays, Christmas, etc., if the person gives it to you personally, I think thanking them right then is perfectly fine, and if it's sent to you, then I think a phone call or even an e-mail is okay. I usually send a thank you though, I think it's always nice to show appreciation.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You should send a thank you note for any gift or special something someone did. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but it does need to be sent. People may say they don't care, but they really appreciate it once received.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It depends what it's for and how well I know the person. Big argument in world of job interviewing is handwritten or emailed? I send some virtual thank yous to friends i know use the Internet a lot. But others, I go out of my way to find a nice card to send.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Gifts received from immediate family received hugs, kisses, and thank you's as soon as I opened the gift.
    Distant relatives received a handwritten thank you note or letter.
    For special occasions where invitations are sent out (graduation, wedding, baptism, baby shower) formal thank you cards were written out for every single gifter whether they were present or not.

My oldest daughter does not believe in the sanctity of thank you's, to which she is no longer graced with gifts by people who's feelings she has hurt.
    My second daughter has taken my lessons to heart and writes thank you's to every individual as soon as she receives a gift.
    My youngest daughter is still in "training."

I began teaching them when they were very young and they are now 21, 18, and 16 years of age. There is no excuse to not thank a person for a gift.

Thank the gifters as they are accustomed to and according to the occasion.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010