Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!! Question about ID needed to fly.

I am getting ready to fly from California to Illinois with my 3 year old twins (they have their own seats/tickets) and my almost 9 month old baby (in my lap).

My purse was recently stolen and along with it were my social security card and my 3 year old daughters' social security cards. Also, all forms of photo ID of mine. In order to get a new photo ID I need my social security card...I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GET ONE!

Here are my questions...

1) Can I get my 3 year olds onto the plane with just their birth certificates and/or shot records?

2) If I go to the Social Security office, can they give me a verified piece of paper saying what my social security number is until I can get the actual card??

HELP!! I have 2 weeks to pull this off and I am FREAKING OUT! HELP!


Asked by sarahkaystone at 5:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (14 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • i'm going to the SS office tomorrow morning when they open their doors to get a verified piece of paper with my, and girls', social security number on it. then i am going to the dmv where i will get us all state IDs. thanks to everyone that helped out. i appreciate it.

    i know not to take the cards with me...i had a wic appointment that day and they asked me to bring them. i also intended on getting them military IDs that day and they were needed. of course THAT was the day my purse got stolen! ugh!!

    thanks again. I think I have it all figured out! :)

    Answer by sarahkaystone at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • your kids don't need ID to travel in the only need a state issued photo ID (ie driver's license).

    As far as SS card-go to the website and there are instructions on how to get a new card.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • You CANNOT get on an airplane with out a government issued id! You don't need any paperwork for your kids. Call the DMV in your town & ask them what to do & ask if they have local numbers or know of anyone who works in Social Security that may be able to help expidite this. Better get a new one because showing up @ the airport w/out will just be frustrating to you.

    Answer by Nyx7 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • oh!!!! do you have a passport?

    Answer by Nyx7 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • If you go to the SS office, they should be able to expedite the card. I got my replacement in a week. But, yes they can give you a certified paper with it on it. As for the birth certs...IDK

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • Jademom07 is correct (of course she just went through it). The receipt the SS office gives you will be honored in order for you to get a new i.d. I think another form of identification. They might accept a library card or any other from of i.d. I know that you lost all forms of i.d. Call your local office for a list of documentations they will accept. As far as a b-cert, some places are pretty "high tech". You might not be able to get a sealed b-cert but they might be able to help you with something you can use for proof. It's worth a try.

    Answer by melcy at 6:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • could u just get a state id? call the ss office right away and see what they can do. also, im sure u know this now, but keeping your ss cards on your person is a big no no!! just because its a big identity theft risk. sorry you are going thru this :( ive traveled w/ dd quite a few times, and the only time i needed her birth certificate to prove that she was under 2 for her lap child seat. obviously, the baby probably doesnt need that. i would just worry about the id for yourself. good luck :)

    Answer by iamcafemom83 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2010