Do you give to homeless people standing on the corner with signs asking for money or food?

Ds and I were just coming home from the grocery store and saw a guy on the corner near the store. His sign said "Homeless, hungry, diabetic. Anything helps." (or something along those lines)
I took ds home, put away our perishables, and searched my cupboards for stuff to take to him. We've had a rough couple weeks and my grocery budget has been pretty limited, but knew we had to have SOMETHING to give. There wasn't much that he wouldn't need to refrigerate , freeze, or cook, and I didn't want to give him stuff that would spoil in the heat, so we rounded up a loaf of bread, box of applesauce cups, plastic spoons to eat the applesauce, bag of pretzels, and a couple cold bottles of Aquafina. Ds (5) and I took it to him. I had no cash or I'd have given him a few bucks instead.

Do you ignore people like that? Give them food, give them cash?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I almost always do. It just breaks my heart to know that people are so stuck, it is sometimes hard to find their way out. Yes, I know that some never will get jobs and that others are lying, but I figure better safe than sorry. If I am driving by with a 5 dollar latte in my lap, I know that I can afford to give at least 5 dollars to somebody much less fortunate.
    I have never told anybody but my husband (and only because he caught me once) but when I lived in Seattle, each weekend I would load up a couple coolers of sack lunches and bottled water and head to the "hot spots" to distribute them. Costco made it pretty affordable and I have found the more you reach out, the more people are willing to reach out to you when in need. My 2 year old is beginning to "give" whenever we are out and I would really love it if he kept right on learning...
    Anonymous

• I don't. I DO give to shelters and our church food pantry. But not to people on street corners.
    Anonymous

• I never give cash. I will give food though. I see too many standing with signs that say "Out of work, need money" and they happen to be in front of a fast food place that says "Hiring"...or they are wearing shoes that cost more than mine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• No I don't..sometimes I want to. Giving them cash doesn't help, they'll probably just want to buy alcohol :/
    Anonymous

• I give if I have it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't typically give to those standing out with signs. If I see someone, that's obviously homeless/in need...then I do. it's not ever money, but canned food or packaged stuff that isn't perishable.
    Anonymous

• i used to help people like that until i got burned. we had a young couple in a town i used to live in who would go to fast food places and asking them if they could take the stuff they were throwin away. after one place denied them sayin it was against there policy i bought them each a dinner and plus gave them some cash....a few days later i seen them walkin from the main road to a side road so i turn on that road to offer them a ride, it was in the middle of winter and we had a frost advisory..amd they got into a much nicer car than i had and i followed them to a nearby town, 10 miles away and they werent homeless at all. i was sooo mad.

gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• No..I cant..Unless they have children with them they get nothing from me at all
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think that was sweet and it makes a good impression on your son to see you help someone in need. :)
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 6:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• there are so many in my town that i cant help them. we are struggling so much as is. and there is someone at almost every corner with a cardboard sign. hubby works at a fast food place and they will come in and order dollar items and be 15-25 cents short and will let it slide though. and he sees a lot of people who will bring homeless people in and buy them a large meal, which is great.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010