Can you change your toddlers sleep schedule?

Now, don't get me wrong... I love the fact that she's been sleeping through the night since she was 6 months old. But, 6am is a little draining...

My 12 mo old is currently sleeping from 6:30pm til about 5:30 am.. Occasionally she lets me sleep until 6:30, but this isn't very often. Now, I am not sure what to do here. I've tried keeping her up until 8pm, but it's like clock work every day... She still wakes up at the exact same time. I just end up with a very irritated child. I tried to deal with it for a few days, but there was no change so I stopped putting her to bed later. Also, she is starting to eliminate one of her naps (going down to 1 a day instead of 2) and some days she isn't napping at all. This is just becoming REALLY stressful.

Any advice here? Husband and I are left dumbfounded as to what to try next. Having a cranky child is not making the household a peaceful place, but I don't know how to get her to sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is sleeping just not on the schedule that you would like. The only thing you can do is try to keep up at night and do it for more than a few days. She just may be hardwired to be an early bird.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Have you tried bringing her to bed w/ you and snuggling when she wakes too early? Put her to bed later, and try that.
    It's what we had to do w/ DS when the time changes here.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I am OP. Well, I've done it in a few day spurts like here 4-5 days and there 4-5 days. And let me tell you she is one very unhappy little girl. I literally am not able to get anything done in that house during that time, and going out even for a walk is completely out of questions. She turns from a normal child to a raging toddler of anger. I finally could not deal with it.

No haven't tried putting her in bed with me as when she is in there and we're cuddling, she's usually moving fast forward to the edge of the bed. I have no doubt she would fall. And when she is awake in the morning, she is AWAKE!

Well, she doesn't seem to like her own schedule either. I know her body is changing, and I think she's in the middle of weaning off one of the naps during the day but then she can't even sleep some days. I feel very horrible for her. No, I don't really like waking so early but I can deal with that better than her tired like this
    Anonymous