Water in the heat...

So A girl friend of mine, told me not to give my baby water when i have her out in the heat. cause it dehydrates her... is this true? It doesn't make sense to me though... i don't know where she heard this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not that it dehydrates her but depending on her age it can cause a PH imbalance which can lead to many problems including siezures.

This is usually a bigger concern in younger babies. Babies get all the water they need from breastmilk because it's about 80% + water content.
    Anonymous

• shes 7 month and a half now.
    Anonymous

• if she's 7 mo I don't see why not to give her water... doesn't make sense to me either... when in doubt ask your doc
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 7:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• a baby that is 7 mos can have water. I would not make it a staple in her diet, but if you are out in the heat a few ounces won't hurt her. I was told to give my child 1-2 ounces if we were spending time outside and that was in August and she wasn't 2 mos yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Absolutely no water before 6 months old. Babies get their fluids from breastmilk or formula. Too much water can cause seizures or even death in an infant. But at 7 months old, yes, she should be having some water in a sippy. Up to 4 to 6 oz a day would be fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2010