another potty training question

i want to start potty training my son, hes 19 months old. i just had a daughter who is 4 weeks. do you think its a good time to start?? i know i wont be able to go straight to underwear because i can't keep an eye on him all the time with the new baby. how should i go about starting. my husband said to wait til hes 2, then the baby wont be taking up as much of my attention. my sons really big for his age though, and i'm sick of people looking at him funny in his diaper.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 7:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• so you're starting to potty train him now bc people look at him funny? that's not the right reason to start. he needs to be ready. waking up dry, showing interest in the potty and knowing when they are wet/soiled are signs of being ready.... not how big they are. if you start before they are ready it will just be frustrating for everyone and it will not work. i agree with your hubby..... start thinking about it when he's 2 bc i seriously doubt a 19 mo can hold his bladder (and i'm sure if he could you would have mentioned that in your post)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If you think he is ready go ahead. Take him every 15-30 minutes and have him sit for 2-3 minutes. If he uses it go crazy with the applause and cheering. If not, no big deal. Do a wet diaper check in another 10-15 minutes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• he has shown signs of readiness for a while now, i just didn't want to start before the baby and have him regress. he wakes up from naps dry, and can stay dry for hours at a time. he knows what pee pee is and where it comes from and where it goes. what people think isnt the main reason i want to start now, i want to start now because i think hes ready. and if he is, will it hurt his chances of success if i do wait til hes 2? i'd hate for him to know where to go, but think its ok to go in his diaper too, then be confused when its time to switch.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would wait until you have more time to focus on it. We just started with my son, he's 23 months... we went strait to underwear. When we use pullups he thinks of them as a diaper and just pee's in them... it doesn't work at all. We have been doing this for almost a week now and it's going really well... he will ask to go potty most of the time and isn't having many accidnets... 2-3/day which I feel is pretty good so far.... but it does take a lot of time and attention.
    You could start with introducing the potty... first thing in the morning, before and after naps and before bath time and see how he does with it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'd wait a little, but not necessarily until he's 2. I trained my first cold-turkey in underwear at 19 months when her sister was 3 months old. Although there's never an ideal time to try to focus that much on one child with a second one around, i thought 3 months worked pretty well. I was comfortable with the baby, into the rhythm of that, and I was able to just wear her around, occasionally put her aside in the middle of a nursing session (I know, I know, awful) to run her sister to the potty, knowing that it was going to go more quickly the more consistently it was done. It took about 4 days before we were comfortable going out and about (in underwear, mind you), and about 10 days before she was telling us *reliably* whenever she had to go. Not bad, in the grand scheme. I just think that if you're going to do a gradual, wishy-washy approach with a 19 month old boy, you're asking for trouble. And I've trained 2 kiddos,
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010