How did we survive 200 years ago?

Without all of these birthing classes, special sleeping styles, bottles, binkies, vitamins, marriage counseling, boppies, body pillows, jeeze...

Man kind has been around for a VERY long time without all of this stuff so why do some women insist that your a bad parent for not following the new trends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• idk, but back then 50% of women died during childbirth so i guess some things are working out for us lol. and they did have binkies back then.... it was a rag soaked in sugar water.... it was called a sugar tit lmao. a little jewel of wisdom from my grandmom.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• People back then where doing the exactly the same things they are today. The information they used was based on what they already knew and used new medical practices as they became informed and learned about them.
    Thank you for making me think about it! Damb, we have it good these days!
    Anonymous

• Each generation raised their children according to the information they had.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I also wonder how so many babies survived back then before all these rules.
    Like no eating certain foods, no smoking, no alcohol AT ALL during pregnancy, do not give your baby any food (except breast milk) until they are a certain age, don't potty train until they are 3, no whole milk ever.. the things they have come up with.
    Anonymous

• We didn't. 200 ago 1 in 5 children died before their fifth birthday. Not the best odds for survival.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think we need to relax and enjoy being Moms instead of getting all judgemental and uptight. We have Doctors and medicines and safety methods such as car seats...etc. ANd yet everyone still gets hyper about breast vs bottle, bash other moms and it just makes me angry. Grow up.We are so lucky now. Enjoy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

Yes this is true. However, this does not stop the previous generation from rolling their eyes at the new mandates and guidelines. Like a car seat is considered expired after 5 years and really should not be passed down to future kids. Also, if a car seat goes through the Cargo section of plane, it is considered no longer safe for use. My husband and I just laugh at these rules and regs. We spent over a hundred dollars for each car seat that we purchased in 1987-no way we'd toss those purchases-and, yes, our second child used the same ones. This generation of ERF, MBM only until age 2, Co-sleeping, attachment parenting, no vaxing moms will roll their eyes at the next generation of moms too. Mark.my.words.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010