Should I start solids?

My son is 4 months old and he eats 3-4 ounces every hour or hour and a half. The doc told me yesterday that he should be eating every 4 hours and around 6 ounces at a time. I have been trying to make him wait and adding on a half hour to when he normally eats but no matter what I do he just cries and cries until I give him a bottle. We give him rice cereal at night before bed and he enjoys that! Do you think adding solids into his diet might help him last longer in between feedings? I am not sure what else to do. It is also a pain having to feed him so often! I can't seem to get anything done! Help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• until they are about 6 months old the babyfood won't replace a whole feeding, it's more for practice and routine. but yes i would keep feeding the cereal. he is probably having a growth spurt imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Delaying feeding will actually make the problem worse. feed him when he's hungry. Also, solids should not replace formula yet, he isn't ready for that.
    Anonymous

• Feed him when he's hungry. Try less formula more frequently. Delay solids. He isnt ready and it will cause more problems.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Anon :57 is right. Forcing a baby to go 4 hour stretches between feedings is crazy. If my pediatrician said that I'd switch doctors because I'd be afraid to listen to his advice after that. Most babies eat ever 2 to 3 hours. They can also have brief periods of cluster feeding to make up for like a long stretch at night. Stretching feedings to every 2 hours and adding in a purreed veggies is realistic. But, forcing your little guy to go 4 hours without eating just sounds cruel to me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The schedule you describe, 3-4 ounces every hour or hour and a half, is much more natural than 6 ounces every 4 hours. Breastfed babies will often eat every 1-2 hours, so that is what is "normal" for a human baby. Feeding every 4 hours would just be more convenient for the parent. Why would you want to disrupt your baby's natural ability to know when he is hungry and full?
    Keep doing what you are doing and start solids at 6 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You should really wait - I started Peanut a month ago (she's 7 months on Thurs) & her solids still haven't replaced her nursing. Baby needs that formula for one year. Solids are supposed to follow breastmilk/formula.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• 100% yes
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• He can't digest te cereal. It is taking he place of needed calories! He's getting less, not more. Plus you are likely to create a constipation issue!

Feed him more frequently and he'll be happier.

So what if you can't get anything done? He's 4 months old! This is what being a mother is about. His needs supercede chores. This stage does not last forever. We all go through it. HIs stomach is tiny and he's rapidly growing... you'd be hungry more often too!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• as previous posters stated, he's probably having a growth spurt. pedi's tell you what is kinda average for the age that your baby is, but even then they know every child is different. as for the cereal, if he has yet to have any issues with constipation or an upset stomach and he likes it, you're his mother so do as you please :) i feed my 3 mo old a couple tsp of cereal in his first bottle of the day or else he'd eat 11 oz in his first bottle every morning. yes, 11 oz. it happened the first time he slept thru the night. however, i will hold off on any other foods, or even thick cereal, till the 6 month mark. all in all, feed your baby when he's hungry, and he'll continue to be your little bundle of joy :)
    mommypeezee

Answer by mommypeezee at 3:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2010