Am I being selfish by not giving up my daughter for adoption because I'm living with my parents while I attend college?

Someone has told me to give her up because I am single, 22 and not able to afford her comfortably on my own yet. I am in a very loving house with my parents. Ive never wanted anything more in my entire life than to keep her. I would never give her up, but I want to know what other women think. I was offended by her comment, am I wrong?

ZoeAndNissa

Asked by ZoeAndNissa at 7:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would tell them to mind their own damn business.... you are going to school to beable to support your baby, it's not like your on the streets smoking crack and leaving your daughter with your parents
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Keeping your child is the right thing to do, things will eventually get better and no you are not being selfish at all, you are being a loving mom who is struggling. Follow your heart always and ignore comments from people who just do not understand.

Answer by older at 7:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with older
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If you love her and you are going to try and give her a good life then you should keep her. People think that material things make a child happy, when I bet all of those children in foster homes would be more excited with someone who cared, loved them and wanted them. My daughter is 22 a due in August, I would be very upset if she gave him up. When you have a good supportive family there are people who will help you. When you get thru college and get your degree then those that stood by you and helped will be very proud. Just love her with all you have and protect her. You will be a good mom if you want to be and she will love you for it. Best wishes
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I hope this person wasn't a friend
    Your situation isn't ideal, but if you have loving help while you try to better yourself
    Then who are they to say. If you make your child your priority and not just dump her on your parents
    attending college close by? Then you should be good. Tough road though
    giftmom

Answer by giftmom at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• NO you are not selfish. As long as your parents are supportive of this decision it's really nobody else's business. You can get temporary assistance like WIC if you need to. You ARE providing for your baby and she is blessed to have loving grandparents who want to be part of her life. There's nothing wrong with that. Ignore certain someones. They don't have the whole story and it's none of their business anyway.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• No you are not selfish.Selfish would be to abort her,even though you know soon you will be able to support her and yourself,Good luck!!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• What is wrong with people today? Multi-generational families that support and help each other used to be a norm.
    My best friend got pregnant at 17 (had her baby just after she graduated high school) and lived with (still does) her parents while she was in college. She was a SAHM, babysitting to earn extra cash. Her parents provided food, shelter and insurance for the baby and most of her clothes and toys (because Nana LOVES to spoil that girl...the only child of an only child, lol). At night she went to classes while her parents watched the baby. Until she was old enough for the college daycare at 3. Then she started day classes.
    She's now 28 and teaches English at a high school for troubled teens and is in graduate school and will probably eventually get her PhD. She still lives with her parents but that's by all their choices. Her dd will be 11 next week and is a great kid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If it's selfish depends on your reasons to or not to. But is it selfish to keep your baby just cause you don't have much money? Heck no!!
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• LOL I was 22 when I got pregnant. I actually had a guy friend STOP TALKING to me because I wouldn't get an abortion. Mmmmm, yeah no. I live with my parents, I go to college. It's not ideal, but it';s working. You can do it mama!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2010