Is she behind?

My daughter is 3 and I'm worried about her rate of learning. The other kids in her pre-school class seem a lot more advanced. They speak clearer, know more words, and Letters. Memorize better. I really want her to be successful in kindergarten and not struggle. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Every child learns differently
    Some children are late bloomers. The important thing is to develop the love of learning at this age
    Make learning a game and interject skills needed into daily routines.......you could point out items in a store and talk about what letter they start with ( for example). Read to your child as much as possible . the local library probably has a childrens program.
    If you are still concerned your state may offer free early intervention screenings. if there is a problem, earlier is better!
    Good luck momma :)
    giftmom

Answer by giftmom at 8:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I didn't start my son in school until he was 4 and the teacher told me to have him tested and the screening was fine for his age. Once he started school at 4 and was around the kids on a daily basis he learned so quickly and caught up in no time. He is now 9 and is honors in school....
    mybabyjr

Answer by mybabyjr at 8:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Talk with her teacher, the teacher will know. And if she is, then the teacher can point you in the right direction. If she is, then the teacher will be able to get things set up to have her tested for learning disabilities. But try not to worry, maybe she just wants to have more fun in class, and not settle down, ya know? Talk with the teacher before you get worked up, it may be nothing.
    If the teacher says there is nothing to worry about, but you still see it, then monitor her. Watch for it next year. Talk with the next teacher. The earlier you catch LD the better. But again, talk with the teacher before you get worked up.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010