when weaning your baby from breastfeeding do you wean to a bottle or sippy. my baby's used to a sippy and i'd rather not have her take steps backwards with a bottle. what do you suggest or have done ?

SANDYCAT

Asked by SANDYCAT at 8:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I weaned alll three of my kids to a sippy.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Sippy cup is fine. There's no need to go backwards to a bottle if they are taking a cup.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If baby is under a year they should get formula in a bottle. If you wait until a year then you can skip the formula/bottle and go straight to a cup (that is what I did).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• if your child can drink from a sippy, then wean to a sippy.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• to a sippy. Even if you're weaning onto formula, I dont see any need to put it in a bottle.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• when i weaned both of my daughters I just went to a regular cup. I don't feel it's necessary to use a sippy unless you are on the road or maybe to keep one in the diaper bag. there's no point in getting them attached to one IMO.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 9:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• No xiipy here. Cup or cup with straw.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• "to a sippy. Even if you're weaning onto formula, I dont see any need to put it in a bottle. "
    You would likely end up using a sippy cup like a bottle. Baby is supposed to be sucking on a breast for the first year (at least) which helps to properly develop the mouth and jaw muscles. you want to stick with what is most like a breast. Over use of a sippy cup can actually interfere with proper jaw development and lead to speech problems. The problem is that use of the sippy cup does not contribute to the normal muscle development of a child's mouth.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010