Is it common for grandparents to show favoritism between their grandchildren?

My brother won't talk to my father because found out that grandpa will be paying for my other brother's daughter education.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow! thats harsh! I don't blame your brother one bit

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• It happens! It even happens with parents among children!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• yes it's common. A good grandparent won't let their favoritism show though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Don't blame your brother for being mad.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• yes most favor the first grand child..well because it is the first..and also the youngest because that is the baby of the family....i do not however think it is intentional....
    Anonymous

• My parents absolutely show favortism to one of my children...my son who is the oldest. They also showed a great deal of favortism to my brother throughout our entire lives...and he's also the oldest son. I don't like it...actually, I hate it. But if I say something they will simply deny it and say its all in my head.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it is common or not, but my son was the grandchild that was left out and treated like crap, so, although we did not totally break of relations, we kept our distance once it became apparent that they were always going to treat him like crap. I find it hilarious now that the grandkids are all almost grown that my son is the only one that is respectful & responsible toward the ILs and the other grandkids are royal brats (IL's word for them, not mine!). Now that he's grown he's suddenly the "perfect" grandchild, but too late, they lost out by singling him out when he was younger. Can I just say....neener, neener, neener! ROFL
    Anonymous

• oh yes that is too common. my grandma has 8 kids, and she favors 5 over the other 3. same thing with her grandkids. the chosen 5's children are all on her 'top' list. i'm the oldest granddaughter 21 and i have a brother19, and my mom is the first born so we're the 1st ones in line. then my two other cousins, one 9yo boy and one 17yo girl. both of them have lived with her and at one point in her life or another, her life revolved around them. the little boy in particular is still the center of her universe and is a huge brat. my brother, my female cousin, and i are old enough to understand that my grandma is set in her ways and its so sad that she prefers certain people over others that are of her bloodline. but! the three of us are not brats; very well mannered and have always made it a point to include our cousins in outings with her. i.e. 'how about we call alyssa and she can come to the mall too??' so unfortunate...
    mommypeezee

Answer by mommypeezee at 4:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2010