What to do about neighbor kids throwing rocks at geese?

We have a pond in our condo development, and have a lot of geese, including baby ones. They were on the grass earlier and this kid (maybe 10 years old?) was throwing rocks directly at them, hitting at least one. Another kid went and told the mom. She didn't care. She actually told the tattler never to come back to her door again. So next time....would you call the police? Animal control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would think its normal yet unacceptable behavior for that age. I've caught my 10 year old doing some crazy stuff but after talking to him about it and explaining that we don't hurt living things, he seems a little more compassionate. More than the childs action, I think the mother non action speaks even louder.
    Yes, call the police and they will contact animal control.I wouldnt even wait for a next time, you know who the boy was, you know where he lives and who is mother is, call them now.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would talk to the managers of your condo complex. If there isn't one, then I would talk to the HOA. I would call them every time you see it too. Maybe some pressure from them will help the mom discipline her kid and get him to stop doing it.
    If you don't get any help there than I would call animal control and have the officer go speak to the mother of the kid. You can report it anonymously.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'd call animal control and ask them to put the scare into the boys.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The police will direct you to animal control most likely. And they probably won't do much from there. You can try approaching the kid yourself if you see him, and tell him that it isn't nice to throw stones at geese, explain why, and some of the consequences (embellish if you have to, by saying if you see it happen again you will notify the proper authorities).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would not talk to the kid directly, with a mother like his I am sure it would cause a huge problem.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Honestly, I have no problem with the kid tossing rocks at geese if they are Canadian geese. If they're the Canadian variety, have they recently moved in? Because if they have, you are in for a huge mess! These birds moved into our local pond and destroyed it - they completely fouled the water w/their poop and drove away the ducks. They're destructive, mean, dirty birds! Chase them from your pond if you want to keep it nice!!!

I understand you not wanting the boy to throw rocks at animals and all, but for Canadian geese I would make an exception. Since I'm sure you don't want to make an exception & do want something done about the boy, you could call animal control & see if they can get rid of the geese and talk to the boy, too, about what the more appropriate response to the geese's presence would be (eg...call animal control).
    Anonymous

• The kid is normal, the parent is not
    My kids do stupid stuff thats why I always have an open mind and open door when it comes to them. That parent is in for some big surprises!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I would talk politely to the child & ask him not to do that. If they continued then contact your condo management.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2010