Tubes in the ears

My 8 month old son has had 4 ear infections already. We don't smoke, have a clean home. During the witner he got a few colds. And now it's allergy season. Those are all factors in the resulting infections. This last time the nurse at the ER (the same one I see each time we go in, always seems to be the weekend when it gets bad for him) said to talk to the pediatrician about tubes. 4 infections in 8 months is a lot. Anyone else have a little one so young and have to go through this? What was your outcome?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, my daughter had to get tubes put in her ears also. we didnt smoke around her or anything also. but my docter said it was the way her head was shaped and that as she got bigger the liquid would drain more easily bcuz her ear tube thingy (lol) will be more at an angle. and u mite want her pedi to check it out soon bcuz if ur childs ears r left unattended the liquid that is in his ears will harden as time goes by n it will make him not be able to hear as well and could also mess up his speech. that is what my doc told me n i am glad i got my dd's done soon bcuz they said her liquid in her ears was startin to look lk honey...but now she is fine..she tries to talk more now and she is 22months and got them in at 18 months if i remember correctly.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The tubes would have an almost immediate effect on your baby. It's not that big a deal, no recovery time really beyond the time it takes for the anesthesia to wear off. The tubes stay in for up to a year or so, during which time you probably won't have to worry about any more ear problems. The reason young kids are more susceptible to ear infections is because the eustachian tubes take a couple of years from birth to angle enough to let fluid drain appropriately; ear tubes usually last long enough to let that happen, and then you don't have to worry about ear infections as much -- but the tubes themselves don't prevent infections except when they're actually in. Talk to your pedi and see if that would be a good option to make your son feel better, but being so young, it's possible you might have to do it again if he continues having problems after the tubes fall out. But definitely worth it for the relief now.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My DD had an ear infection almost every month from 4 months to a year old. They never mentioned tubes. I myself however have had 3 sets. The only thing that sucked was that you CANNOT get water in the ears while the tubes are in. Recovery was easy. I did have one jerkface of a doc who tried to pull a tube out when it was still firmly attached to my ear drum...Um, OWIE! I still remember that like it was yesterday. The one downside is that I now have lots of scarring on my ear drums from the tubes, and have permanent hearing loss because of it. The loss is mild to moderate, and I can still hear, but if my DH is talking softly not even a foot in front of me, I have to continually say "what?" lol, and it drives him nuts.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010