How do I reduce my anxiety about my son starting Kindergarten in September?

My only child is starting Kindergarten and I'm having separation anxiety!! Does anyone know how I can make this "transition" more positive ; so I won't project my fear- to my son? I want him to feel confident and happy when he attends school, and I don't want him to fear this new experience or all his new responsibilities as a student. I can tell that he is thinking about it now and he's wondering who will be there to help and guide him. I have assured him that he will have a teacher to answer questions, and he can always speak with the nurse or the counselor if he has a problem. Can anyone help with advice from your experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2010 in

• Get him excited about picking out his new school supplies, clothes, etc., & maybe take him over to the school a few times during non-school hours to play on the playground, & start feeling at home.

The truth is, he'll probably be just fine, you're the one who will be a mess. My oldest son was an only child until he was 7, & I drove him to the first day sobbing. I told him "before you know it you'll be driving the car, going to college, and getting married". He looked at me & said "Mom, I can't even see over the steering wheel!" I also apparently stayed to long in the classroom that first day because he finally came up to me and whispered, "would you please leave!"

Plan a special day to distract yourself, maybe with a girlfriend(s), and then a special family dinner for you to talk about his day at school. You'll be okay....and I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I'd like to see the answers to this one, as i'm having anxiety about my dd going as well!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Play groups, reading groups at the library, any kind of age appropriate activity will work. Something where you aren't a participant so much as an observer.. HE does everything and you just applaud. Tumbling classes, anything social. Kindergarten is FUN, not work. **grin** Relax. They won't expect him to start on algebra till third grade!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Mine doesn't start school until next year and I'm already anxious. I'll be watching this topic for answers!
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I shouted with joy on their first day, drove them to school, dropped them off out front, and went home to nap :) No anxiety here. Wish I had more helpful advice.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You sound just like me last year. Your son will be just fine. You might need sometime to adjust. I'm loving this summer break right now because he's all mine! I was so scared for him to ride the bus, for him to be there all day on his own. It sounds silly know but I was totally jealous of his teacher, because she was the one spending all the time with him, when i had no clue what was going on all day in his world. He did fine, he loved kindergarten, and he's excited for 1st grade. Just don't let him know how nervous you are. Oh and, I got to ride with him on the bus the first day and stay for the day, do you know if your sons school does that. Well Good Luck!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• OMG i am worried to my son starts aug 17 sooner lol he is excited he wants to ride the yellow caterpiller!(bus) i was so worried last year also 8 months ago to be precise it will be ok feed off of his positive energy you can message me and we can do this togther
    2_kiddos

Answer by 2_kiddos at 4:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• well my son will be starting late aug. and here's what we're gonna do.
    i'm assuming you registered him already right? did they have a parent/teacher group meeting where the tell you what you need and what they expect your kid to know? they had that at my son's (future) school and that was really nice bc i got a packet of stuff we can work on during the summer and that makes me feel like he will be prepared (he didn't go to pre-k).

before the first day of school are they having a day for the kindergardeners to meet their teachers and see their classroom? ours is like a week before school and he will go meet his teacher and put some of his supplies in his cubby, etc. he's really looking forward to that and so am i lol.

call the school and see if the principal would be willing to give you guys a tour of the school during the summer. when i went to the orientation he encouraged us to do that so he can meet all of the new
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• kids and parents. idk if our principal is super cool or if everyone would be willing to do this, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
    gl and you'll both be just fine! think of all the fun he's gonna have and all the things he will learn and run home to tell you about lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• if the problem is you, that your worried or sad to be without your son, thats normal all moms miss their child when they are seperated from them while they are in school.Just show your son how much kindergartin is he will make friends, and he will learn fun little things. And as for you , maybe you can try to get a job and work the hours your son isd in school. To keep your mind off from missing your son so much. Im not saying you won't think about him , you will ,but it won't be as hard on you.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010